Suspect HMV101

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Suspect HMV101

Post by epigramophone »

There are things about this 101 which set my alarm bells ringing.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255143295371 ... %7Ciid%3A1

The machine appears to have been heavily over restored.
The metal fittings should be nickel plated but look more like chrome.
The colour is unlike any I have seen on a 101 and the lid transfer looks like a modern replica.
Has the case been recovered or repainted?
The replacement carrying handle is not a match for the case colour.
Attachments
101.jpg

Henry
Victor V

Re: Suspect HMV101

Post by Henry »

Gee, I like it! Seems a tad pricey, though. Can't ship to US anyway....

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

He has a regular production line of heavily restored machines

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/richard-pony/m.html

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

neilmack wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:53 pm He has a regular production line of heavily restored machines

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/richard-pony/m.html
I see what you mean! Among his other gems are a 102D with the instruction plate fitted to the batch made for the Ministry of Supply, but they were all black and this one is green :?: . As for the De Luxe 101 in "Goat Leather", words fail :lol: .

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

They are all horrific !

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Gramtastic wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 am They are all horrific !
I agree 100% !!!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

What is the problem with these? :?

They look "restored", as compared with neglected, rusty, worn, torn examples on eBay for nearly the same price. You may prefer original, untouched, perfect examples, but how many do you find these days in that condition?

I don't really understand what "over-restored" is in this context. I'm always reading about people wanting to re-cover portables or match the original colors, etc. Re-nickeling is a common subject, along with making new parts, etc. So, what exactly, defines "over-restoration" - when do you cross the line?

These are not fake Crap-O-Phones or Frankenphones, just original machines that needed restoration... and now look "restored". :roll:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Henry wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:53 am Gee, I like it! Seems a tad pricey, though. Can't ship to US anyway....
Me too...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

neilmack
Victor II

Post by neilmack »

Curt A wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:54 pm What is the problem with these? :?

They look "restored", as compared with neglected, rusty, worn, torn examples on eBay for nearly the same price. You may prefer original, untouched, perfect examples, but how many do you find these days in that condition?

I don't really understand what "over-restored" is in this context. I'm always reading about people wanting to re-cover portables or match the original colors, etc. Re-nickeling is a common subject, along with making new parts, etc. So, what exactly, defines "over-restoration" - when do you cross the line?

These are not fake Crap-O-Phones or Frankenphones, just original machines that needed restoration... and now look "restored". :roll:
They're incorrectly restored. HMV didn't market a bilious yellow 101; The Ministry of Supply didn't procure machines finished in green.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

neilmack wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:34 pm
Curt A wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:54 pm What is the problem with these? :?

They're incorrectly restored. HMV didn't market a bilious yellow 101; The Ministry of Supply didn't procure machines finished in green.
"Bilious yellow" :lol: I like that!