2 Kinephones ! - Reproductions ??

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Gramtastic
Victor III

Re: 2 Kinephones ! - Reproductions ??

Post by Gramtastic »

Ok, I'm confused now.... are we saying these are genuine British made c1925 and were shipped to India where they remained unsold until the 1980's, or are we saying these are Indian copies made in the 1980's ???

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

British made c1925 and were shipped to India where they remained unsold until the 1980's It happens :D

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Now that I think of it, Jerry Madsen used to mail out fliers with items for sale and I remember seeing Kinephones and Tango Two dancers for sale, along with a bunch of other phono related NOS stuff, like bird shaped records, etc.
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Jerry was always buying job lots of anything connected to phonographs , he bought thousands of tins once at a Rüdesheim Gramophone museum fair Wagner being one I recall ,think i still have some somewhere
Attachments
wagner.jpg
wagner.jpg (27.72 KiB) Viewed 759 times

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

The box is repro at least which makes me highly sceptical.

Check out the white label. Note the black line which frames the text on 3 sides but is not complete on the bottom? That line has been drawn in on a copy. The originals had a name and dealers address underneath which then completed the full black edged frame. This has been omitted from the copies because the label they used to copy was damaged at the bottom hence the poorly completed infilled line on the label which doesn't match the rest. It's the same with Tango Twos.

Some of the stuff mentioned which was sold in the 90s and supposedly new old stock looked dodgy to me. I avoided it anyway.
Last edited by Steve on Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Gramtastic wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:22 am Ok, I'm confused now.... are we saying these are genuine British made c1925 and were shipped to India where they remained unsold until the 1980's, or are we saying these are Indian copies made in the 1980's ???
Indian copies made in the 80s. Honestly, that's what they were. I never bought into the JM story.

Gramtastic
Victor III

Post by Gramtastic »

I'm leaning towards the 80's Indian copies. It doesn't make sense that a presumably fairly poor Indian dealer would buy a large quantity of items from England and then be able to afford to leave them on his shelves unsold for 60 years only for them to be bought by someone from the US and sold in the 80's ! Almost all the Kinephones which come up on Google searches seem to have this same Indian dealer sticker on them - he couldn't have been the only person in the world who bought them from the manufacturer !

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Gramtastic wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:22 am I'm leaning towards the 80's Indian copies. It doesn't make sense that a presumably fairly poor Indian dealer would buy a large quantity of items from England and then be able to afford to leave them on his shelves unsold for 60 years only for them to be bought by someone from the US and sold in the 80's ! Almost all the Kinephones which come up on Google searches seem to have this same Indian dealer sticker on them - he couldn't have been the only person in the world who bought them from the manufacturer !
He wasn't! The people responsible for reproducing the fakes only had the one dealer's label on a box to copy, hence why everything has his name on it.

The "new old stock" story was a crock.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

if they were Indian copies made in the 1980s there would be hundreds if not thousands of them and not dozens and also I would know as i had hundreds of Indian repro parts and gramophones made then and never saw these yes Jerry Madsen may have "refurbished" them as he did with the Tango Twos remaking parts that were missing and probably boxes as well BUT they are not totally fake and anyone who buys one will get a lot of pleasure out of it :D