Alternatives to eBay?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
soundgen
Victor V

Re: Alternatives to eBay?

Post by soundgen »

Raphael wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:30 am I dislike eBay as much as anybody else, but compared to the 20-30% most auction houses are collecting on both ends of a sale, eBay looks very favorable. Scheduling is also very flexible (at the seller’s convenience) and once a sale is made funds come within a few days. Having them handle the sales taxes is also a major convenience. I’m going through a major audit and all of my eBay sales were no-brainers to the auditors as I had zero responsibility for the collection and remittance of the taxes. See my post in the Parlor section about this: https://forum.talkingmachine.info/view ... 18&t=50287

Raphael
I'm really surprised that someone like Raphael doesn't list his entire inventory on Ebid lifetime costs £50 , no listing fees or sale fees unless you have a picture in their gallery for anyone with a good customer base it's a no brainer and everyone can pay with Paypal

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Ebid is fairly unknown- I hadn't heard about it till I saw this post. Maybe if it got popular he would, but for someone selling expensive and desirable machines, the more people who see the listings the better.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Quite frankly, I'd never heard of it either.

Raphael

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I've heard of it but frankly it's complete crap.

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Curt A wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:05 pm It won't be too long before online sales taxes are not a big issue. Now, or soon, any deposits to or withdrawals from your bank account that exceed $600 (it has been $10,000) will be reported to and scrutinized by the IRS and I expect cash will be eliminated as a form of payment.
Sorry, Curt, but this is patently wrong and misleading. The proposed rule will be to report on individual accounts that exceed $600 in total annual activity. There will be no specific reporting of individual transactions, except for the ones in cash over $10,000 (that rule has been in place for over 50 years). The concept behind the $600 threshold is to target individuals that have a much smaller reported income than their bank activity indicates.

Some countries have converted to a near-cashless society. We are slowly but inexorably doing so. I recently went to Stanton’s, and in my seven days away I only used cash to leave a tip for the hotel maid. Everything else, right down to a cup of coffee in a gas station, was paid with plastic.

Raphael

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:33 am I've heard of it but frankly it's complete crap.
YES , BUT you can list your complete Inventory for nothing which would be great if you had a large mailing list ( as I am sure someone like Raphael has ) just tell all your customers to look at your Ebid site , i wish I had kept an email list of everyone who had bought from me in the last 20 to 30 years but unfortunately at the time I wasn't tech savvy enough not sure if am now :D But I will add lots of items to my Ebid site cheaper than Ebay as no fees and still pay by Paypal :D
NEEDLES
https://www.ebid.net/uk/perl/main.cgi?g ... ategoryid=

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

I (and many others) have a dedicated website for this purpose.

Raphael

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Raphael wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:31 am
Curt A wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:05 pm It won't be too long before online sales taxes are not a big issue. Now, or soon, any deposits to or withdrawals from your bank account that exceed $600 (it has been $10,000) will be reported to and scrutinized by the IRS and I expect cash will be eliminated as a form of payment.
Sorry, Curt, but this is patently wrong and misleading. The proposed rule will be to report on individual accounts that exceed $600 in total annual activity. There will be no specific reporting of individual transactions, except for the ones in cash over $10,000 (that rule has been in place for over 50 years). The concept behind the $600 threshold is to target individuals that have a much smaller reported income than their bank activity indicates.

Some countries have converted to a near-cashless society. We are slowly but inexorably doing so. I recently went to Stanton’s, and in my seven days away I only used cash to leave a tip for the hotel maid. Everything else, right down to a cup of coffee in a gas station, was paid with plastic.

Raphael
"Biden’s Treasury Department declares IRS will monitor" all accounts over $600.

The Treasury has made no such declaration (at the "present time"). The department has made a proposal that Congress is considering.

Under the proposal, financial institutions would be required to annually report the total inflows and outflows from bank, loan and investment accounts, if the total is at least $600 in a year, or if the account’s value is at least $600. (This statement equals bank account "scrutiny". It makes no mention of who, or what may be excluded, so by definition it includes everyone and every transaction).

I don't use cash, either, so it's a moot point for me...
My statement is not "patently wrong and misleading", since there is nothing in writing either way at this point - it's a proposal. Proposals mean that this is being considered. IF the proposal is made law, we have no idea how far reaching this law may be, until it's ruled on and then implemented and then it's too late to change it.

Do I want under-reporters to pay their fair share? Of course... Do I trust government agencies and unelected bureaucrats to enforce things fairly and properly? NO... and neither should you. It's a slippery slope to totalitarianism...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Curt A wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:12 pm
Raphael wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:31 am

Raphael
"Biden’s Treasury Department declares IRS will monitor" all accounts over $600.

The Treasury has made no such declaration (at the "present time"). The department has made a proposal that Congress is considering.

Under the proposal, financial institutions would be required to annually report the total inflows and outflows from bank, loan and investment accounts, if the total is at least $600 in a year, or if the account’s value is at least $600. (This statement equals bank account "scrutiny". It makes no mention of who, or what may be excluded, so by definition it includes everyone and every transaction).

I don't use cash, either, so it's a moot point for me...
My statement is not "patently wrong and misleading", since there is nothing in writing either way at this point - it's a proposal. Proposals mean that this is being considered. IF the proposal is made law, we have no idea how far reaching this law may be, until it's ruled on and then implemented and then it's too late to change it.

Do I want under-reporters to pay their fair share? Of course... Do I trust government agencies and unelected bureaucrats to enforce things fairly and properly? NO... and neither should you. It's a slippery slope to totalitarianism...
Yeah, we saw just how slippery in January. Just sayin'.
It's just a proposal and the banking lobby will likely defeat it.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Raphael
Victor IV

Post by Raphael »

Curt,

You are again being misleading. Nowhere does the proposal mention that individual transactions over $600 will be reported or scrutinized. It is for the purpose of total bank activity.

Also, you are beginning to espouse your political views on our Forum, rather than limit your information to what directly affects phonograph collectors.

Let's stick to the facts, as they concern phonograph collectors, and you can attend rallies for the rest.

Raphael