G&T Deluxe Berliner

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Starkton
Victor IV

Re: G&T Deluxe Berliner

Post by Starkton »

I believe that all attachments (crank, horn, extension arm, traveling arm, soundbox) are inappropriate and came from other machines. The "Deutsche Grammophon" decal has been removed, traces are still visible, and the celluloid "Writing Angel" badge was replaced with an English dealer tag.

When it was introduced in the German DGAG catalog of April 1903, the "Chatulle No. 7" had a more richly decorated case (note the support of the extension arm on the illustration below). Contrary to the illustration the catalogue mentions that the machine was delivered with the Concert soundbox.

It seems that after some months the extension arm was shortened and the decoration of the case became more modest (note the Writing Angel plaque).
Attachments
Chatulle No. 7_2.jpg
Chatulle No. 7_1.jpg
Chatulle No. 7_1.jpg (80.48 KiB) Viewed 472 times

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I agree that some aspects of this machine look to be suspect: The traveling arm shape and fitment seem to be off, no extra support leg for the long horn on the traveling arm support rod and the crank appears to be too long... but, admittedly, I am no expert on these machines and it might be 100% correct.
Click the picture to enlarge...
Screen Shot 2021-10-01 at 12.22.01 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

zipcord
Victor I

Post by zipcord »

Phonograph went unpurchased. I was kind of surprised.

The record case went for $2276

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

I found that the minimum price was too high, as it is expensive to purchase or reproduce the missing original parts.