Post by poodling around »

Attachments
berlin.jpg
berlin.jpg (25.46 KiB) Viewed 1673 times

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: A Berliner apparently + records

Post by Phono-Phan »

Anyone want to guess what the final bid will be?

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Phono-Phan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:40 pm Anyone want to guess what the final bid will be?
I am thinking between £3,500 and £ 5,000.

If it is 'all it seems to be'.

I know nothing about Berliners.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

the box picture is different to the machine ? but they have made £15,000 and £30,000 in the past at auction

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Phono-Phan wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:40 pm Anyone want to guess what the final bid will be?
£22,000

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

The crate label seems to be the label used on all K&R's later models. Here is another example recently sold in the US at auction. The machine shown on the label is the earlier version of the K&R Grammophon.
91b1baab-e549-4304-adb6-adb900cc39b7.jpg
91b1baab-e549-4304-adb6-adb900cc39b7.jpg (101.04 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
1890's K&R Grammophon (5).jpg
100_9118.JPG

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

poodling around wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:43 pm
I am thinking between £3,500 and £ 5,000.

If it is 'all it seems to be'.

I know nothing about Berliners.
Yes, I can see that you " know nothing about Berliners" --- Five inch Berliners can fetch serious money , I have seen them sell at auction each for as much as £ 1100 ( plus buyer's premium ) although I realize that is an unusually high price , but they usually make between 500 and 800 each. Naturally with a group of eighteen , the price for one cannot be multiplied up for a job lot so to speak , but they are still going to make serious money. I have never seen eighteen come up for sale all together. Possibly factor in £10 or £12 K for the records and whatever the machine is worth -- say £15K. Could make a final hammer price in the £20 K to £25K range ( allowing for the the greedy buyer's premium ). The auctioneers , as often , don't have a clue -- indeed they have offered the lot in their " general sale " !! Let's hope the records stay in one piece during the viewing whereby Tom Dick and Harry will be handling them !! I shudder to think !

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have no doubt that the machine is extremely rare and, to some, extremely desirable, but rather than speculate as to it's value I prefer to adopt an 1890's approach.
No matter how generous my budget I could not bring myself to tie up a large sum of money in such a crude machine which, in it's day, would have made the owner of an Edison or a Graphophone sick with mirth.
Of course with the benefit of hindsight we all know that the Gramophone had the last laugh.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

True :D
Inigo

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

epigramophone wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:24 am I have no doubt that the machine is extremely rare and, to some, extremely desirable, but rather than speculate as to it's value I prefer to adopt an 1890's approach.
No matter how generous my budget I could not bring myself to tie up a large sum of money in such a crude machine which, in it's day, would have made the owner of an Edison or a Graphophone sick with mirth.
Of course with the benefit of hindsight we all know that the Gramophone had the last laugh.
We must of course observe that what may seem like a " large sum of money " to your good self ( and indeed myself ) -- the final sale price may not represent a " large sum of money "
to someone who has " a large sum of money " ! Indeed it is more of the historical importance and rarity aspect rather than its musical entertainment value that will attract the buyer .
I must admit though , if I didn't have a house that needs money spending on it , not to mention what " her indoors " would think about such an expenditure , I do rather fancy it !!
Dulcetto