$795- Vic 17 in Wisconsin

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: $795- Vic 17 in Wisconsin

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Yes indeed, and the same applies to the Blue Amberol cylinder, & the Diamond A-B-C reproducer.

That said I've run my old reliable Victrola for six years and never wore a record out yet. I just change the needle & keep things nicely tuned up and they last and last and last. They thought the Victrola records would last for generations too, and they were right. Clean 78s with fiber or thorn needles do not really wear much; steel needles wear them some but not as badly as dirty records, broken or out-of-order machines, and all that.

Really the ones you've got to watch out for are the old-time wax cylinders, and even those are nice long-lasting records if they're taken care of. Phonographs are unique because even a "lemon" is still a passable machine; extremely good ones are usually a truly de-luxe experience, but most any machine that isn't made of cardboard & bubblegum is still ok. BY ALL MEANS get a Diamond Disc player one day. Don't get a C-4; get a windup one with large horn. Then you can experiment with custom diaphragms, special modern ones, and all that, and never have to be hunting for expensive vacuum tubes when something burns out 40 years down the road. Also--everything about a windup DD phonograph is easier to use. Get a C-4 later down the road but since you're new, indulge yourself a little and get a crank-start acoustic Edison. There's significantly less distortion as there is no tube amp (and to play DD's electrically, wire a fine stereo cartridge up to play the vertical input, wire it to some wicked speakers, and HAVE FUN.)

Even the BC-34 Baby Console is going to sound great, but they're almost impossible to sell. All the better. You might get a free one. I heard a restored one playing at a phonograph fair as a demonstration machine and I'd admit it will run circles around many Victor products.

No need to distract yourself with a Dance reproducer or LP apparatus as of yet. The money spent on these can be better spent on hot jazz Diamond Discs.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:19 am Yes indeed, and the same applies to the Blue Amberol cylinder, & the Diamond A-B-C reproducer.

That said I've run my old reliable Victrola for six years and never wore a record out yet. I just change the needle & keep things nicely tuned up and they last and last and last. They thought the Victrola records would last for generations too, and they were right. Clean 78s with fiber or thorn needles do not really wear much; steel needles wear them some but not as badly as dirty records, broken or out-of-order machines, and all that.

Really the ones you've got to watch out for are the old-time wax cylinders, and even those are nice long-lasting records if they're taken care of. Phonographs are unique because even a "lemon" is still a passable machine; extremely good ones are usually a truly de-luxe experience, but most any machine that isn't made of cardboard & bubblegum is still ok. BY ALL MEANS get a Diamond Disc player one day. Don't get a C-4; get a windup one with large horn. Then you can experiment with custom diaphragms, special modern ones, and all that, and never have to be hunting for expensive vacuum tubes when something burns out 40 years down the road. Also--everything about a windup DD phonograph is easier to use. Get a C-4 later down the road but since you're new, indulge yourself a little and get a crank-start acoustic Edison. There's significantly less distortion as there is no tube amp (and to play DD's electrically, wire a fine stereo cartridge up to play the vertical input, wire it to some wicked speakers, and HAVE FUN.)

Even the BC-34 Baby Console is going to sound great, but they're almost impossible to sell. All the better. You might get a free one. I heard a restored one playing at a phonograph fair as a demonstration machine and I'd admit it will run circles around many Victor products.

No need to distract yourself with a Dance reproducer or LP apparatus as of yet. The money spent on these can be better spent on hot jazz Diamond Discs.
I intend to get a B250 (or, if none can be found, a C19) once I complete and sell my Vic III. I believe you mean C-2 (C-4 was 78 only), and trust me, it'll be a while before I can afford one of those :)

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:19 am

Indeed. I picked up my Baby years ago for $50 (another $50 for the records, which included some nice fox trots).

Took some work to spruce it up, but it sounds fine, even with the early small horn. The C-250 is my go-to DD machine now, though.

- Bill

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:50 am

Mainly, it's pretty hard to wear down DDs as far as I've experienced. Edison wasn't wrong when he talked about his records lasting generations.
Unless you've got a worn or chipped stylus: those can damage a record pretty quickly, as I've experienced.

- Bill

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Lucius1958 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:17 pm
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:50 am

Mainly, it's pretty hard to wear down DDs as far as I've experienced. Edison wasn't wrong when he talked about his records lasting generations.
Unless you've got a worn or chipped stylus: those can damage a record pretty quickly, as I've experienced.

- Bill
Oh yeah. You've got to be careful with "new" machines.