Post by dzavracky »

Attachments
245144817_4566080816764411_3214274253377667763_n.jpeg
245112208_4566081373431022_6805786780407309149_n.jpeg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Victrola Revere? --$200 in Bloomingtion Il

Post by gramophone78 »

I would recommend buying a copy of "Look For The Dog" if you don't already own one. A great book to have.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

It'd be cool if you had room for it; this is a nice-looking machine. Is it electric or windup?

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Hi David:

The link you provided in your original post provides some excellent information about this relatively scarce model. My own speculation about this model is that it was designed for use in hotels and similar establishments, and the downward facing horn eliminated the possibility of drunken guests damaging the horn's grille when they passed out and fell against the cabinet. :roll:

As for sound quality, the information on the Victor-Victrola site is right on the mark. I've listened to a couple Reveres and they had a rather anemic, muffled tone. While the bass and mid-range came through, the upper notes were non-existent.

While I personally like the style of the cabinet, the legs seem rather spindly to support the massive weight and bulk of the upper portion. In fact, I've seen a few for sale over the years that were missing the legs, which probably broke off at some point. (Hate to think what they would have sounded like.)

OrthoFan

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Could it help if you place a plane board below the machine, between the legs, just supported on the floor and inclined 45 degrees forward, towards the listeners, just lying on the intermediate stretcher beam between the legs. Or maybe better a wooden pyramid, on the floor, reflecting the sound all around...
If it was mine, I'll try the experiment... At least the treble would come front, not killed by direct reflection on the floor and back up into the horn...
Inigo

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

It's an interesting machine for sure. It's too far away for me, and I am not too interested in it anyways.

Orthofan, you're probably correct. I hadn't thought of that being the reason or the horn to point down towards the floor. It would be interesting to hear it in person.

Inigo, I am sure that would work... but then you'd have to be looking at the board in between the legs :? .

Cheers,

David

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I remember seeing a Revere once at a garage sale. It's a rare one.edisonplayer.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I owned a Revere for a few years. There is some compromise with the down-facing horn, but to me it was minor. The legs were rock-solid after I removed the lower assembly and re-glued the joints. The major advantages were the chest-level turntable and the winding crank, with no stooping required (for me, anyway!). The dropdown front door allows objects to be placed on top without blocking access to the player compartment.
It was only available with a spring-wound motor. It would have come with a set of albums for the storage area on the left. The one for sale looks very good, with what looks like a replaced portable orthophonic reproducer. Nice finish too.
I'd buy it again for the price!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Skihawx
Victor III

Post by Skihawx »

Looks poorly refinished to me. Never owned one of these. I remember it was not in the first "Look for the Dog" book because it rarely shows up in advertisements or brochures. I think there were a few thousand made.

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

Skihawx wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:02 pm Looks poorly refinished to me. Never owned one of these. I remember it was not in the first "Look for the Dog" book because it rarely shows up in advertisements or brochures. I think there were a few thousand made.
The victor-victrola website says only 3000 were made.

David