EMG Mk.IV for auction in Glasgow.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Ahmed
Victor I

Re: EMG Mk.IV for auction in Glasgow.

Post by Ahmed »

poodling around wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:27 pm Well, with respect, I still think it was very good value indeed.

It all depends upon how much you want something - both in monetary terms and how much you can be bothered to secure the item.
Oh absolutely. As I said "it was above what it's worth to me", but still good value for someone else. The buyer was a room bidder, so they would have paid less in comission, and didn't have to worry about getting it home

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I'm curious as to what the EMG Mk.IV sounds like. From the look of it, the horn, including the tonearm, measures about 3.5 to 4 feet long. That would put it in the range of most of the "non-folded exponential horn" cabinet models such as the Victor Consolette.

I've seen a couple of YouTube videos but they don't provide a clue. One is playing acoustically recorded records; the other (posted by the late "Colonel") sounds rather tinny, probably due to a cheap microphone.

OrthoFan

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

You are quite right in my opinion, they are nothing special in terms of the real "hi fi" and "presence" offered by their larger cousins---more like a general standard portable, as you suggest. They are well built---although some cabinets are cheaper than others---but short internal horns with oval mouths will always be a compromise from an audio point of view.

For me, they are desirable to own to "complete the range" if machine collecting is your diving interest but I have never felt the need to buy one to experience the best in music.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

emgcr wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:23 pm You are quite right in my opinion, they are nothing special in terms of the real "hi fi" and "presence" offered by their larger cousins---more like a general standard portable, as you suggest. They are well built---although some cabinets are cheaper than others---but short internal horns with oval mouths will always be a compromise from an audio point of view.

For me, they are desirable to own to "complete the range" if machine collecting is your diving interest but I have never felt the need to buy one to experience the best in music.
I agree with you, Graham. I owned one briefly but found it very underwhelming in terms of sound reproduction but also its "presence". It looks like a typical 1930s utilitarian cupboard you'd probably find a loaf of bread inside. Collectors of EMG need one but in my opinion there are far better table machines out there.