No mine but getting some action.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175035521383?h ... SwsWBhnMAr

blizz

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Re: Bettini Micro Phonograph Horn?

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Not original....

Many years ago there was someone making "replica" Bettini reproducers and horns. I put that in quotes because they were all fantasy versions, not actual replicas. I will dig through my files to see if I can find the brochure. I'd wager that horn was one of his.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I found the catalog and attach a few pages. There are several more. You can see the same horn listed. Oddly, the catalog doesn't contain a name, address, or phone number, nor is there a price list for the various offerings. I can't remember who was selling them, perhaps someone else does. I recall that the seller either retired or passed away and all the molds and other materials were put up for sale. I don't know if anyone bought them -- I certainly don't recall seeing any more of these in the market later.
Attachments
IMG-2203.jpg
IMG-2202.jpg
IMG-2201.jpg
IMG-2200.jpg
IMG-2199.jpg

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I found some pictures illustrating the low quality of these "replicas." The cast resin spider stylus holder (mounted off-center) is particularly impressive. :roll:
Attachments
8.PNG
7.PNG
6.png
3.PNG
2.PNG

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I was the idiot who bought these molds in 2005. Just awful.
Attachments
bettini0.jpg

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

Ouch. My condolences. I gather you didn't bother going into production with them.

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

interesting this topic came up. I was offered this horn out of the blue by the seller 2 days ago and I declined. I told him I believed this was not real for a variety of reasons. I also sent him a pic from the catalog Rene posted with the proof it is a fantasy. I'm happy to now see he changed his ad.

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

It's up to $305. :shock: I wonder if any bids will be canceled in light of his update indicating it's a fantasy.

I'm glad he responded properly. Thanks for alerting him, Scott.

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

No problem Rene. Appreciate you enlightening us all. Great info. Before I knew for sure this was a fantasy piece, to me it didn't make sense that Bettini 's NY product line would create a cheap looking horn for his expensive micro attachments. The premise of a Bettini attachment is to reproduce the best possible sound and volume from brown wax cylinders. These fantasy horns with a larger reproducer opening than all other brands during the late 1890s - turn of the century, yet with a tiny 5" horn bell, would be counter-productive.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Ouch. My condolences. I gather you didn't bother going into production with them.
I have a few Bettini bits, my logic was that there must be something here that may be useful. I was wrong. Total garbage. It's a shocker that there was a catalogue, you couldn't give these away.