Brunswick Cortez

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Brunswick Cortez

Post by audiophile102 »

It looks mighty fine, but too far from me.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnificent-Re ... 632-2357-0
Screenshot_20211126-113102_eBay.jpg
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

Skihawx
Victor III

Re: Brunswick Cortez

Post by Skihawx »

Looks way to expensive for a Cortez. Maybe in the 2005 time frame but not today.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The seller doesn't mention anything about the grill, but I don't see a grill in the pictures. Must assume it's not included in the sale. The green felt is attractive but I was under the impression that Panatropes use a copper-colored felt.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Grille is seen in 2nd ebay photo. Most of the Cortez phonos I have seen in various photos have green on turntable. Mine is green but a much darker velvet type fabric which appears original. The one on ebay appears to have a replacement felt installed. Some are orange/copper also.

Seller supposedly accepts offers. I wonder what would happen if someone offered a "realistic" price. :monkey:
Best regards ... AZ*

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

This is a copy of the details from the eBay listing.

This is one of those things that, if you know what it is, you don’t need me to sing its praises; but I’m going to do it anyway. It’s a 1925 Brunswick Panatrope Cortez phonograph, the very finest such machine the company ever produced, and in my (not so humble) opinion the best-sounding acoustic phonograph anyone ever produced. The Panatrope was Brunswick’s answer to Victor’s Credenza, their top-of-the-line exponential-horn talking machine, but as far as I’m concerned Brunswick outdid Victor and then some, producing a phonograph that was both more attractive and better-sounding than the Credenza or anything else anyone that else was making at the time. Victor, Columbia and others built “horns” that were really chambers; Brunswick built a massive (26”h x 18”w at its mouth) spruce horn that is not only beautiful to behold but magnificent to hear, rending light high notes and deep bass with marvelous clarity. It’s also the only exponential-horn machine I have ever heard that makes both electric and acoustic records sound fantastic.

I found this machine many years ago at a camp in the Maine woods; it was brought there by its original owners, who moved it up there from their home outside Boston when they bought an electric phonograph in the 1930’s. Brunswick took great pains to make the Cortez (which measures 43”h x 30”w x 22.5”d – less of a behemoth than Victor’s Credenza, too) a true object of luxury, from its stylish walnut and mahogany art deco cabinet to its gold-plated hardware (including the reproducer – brass, not pot metal!) to its powerful 4-spring motor, which, as any phonograph maven will tell you, is absolutely the quietest spring motor ever made. The machine even cranks up and brakes almost silently! Even the four record storage drawers glide in and out smoothly. As you can see, the original finish is just wonderful, warm and deep. The motor has been serviced professionally, thoroughly cleaned and lubed with four brand-new springs installed, and will perform brilliantly for at least another century. This spectacular machine has been a jewel of my collection and has occupied a place of honor in my living room for many years, where I have played it every day for guests (who are drawn to it like a magnet) or just my own listening pleasure. Now, though, I’ve been running out of space, so now it’s time to pass it along to some other collector who ill enjoy it as much as I have. If you’ve always wanted these but were waiting to find one in immaculate restored condition, this is your lucky day; you will never come across a nicer example, especially not one with its original finish. Best of all I am offering it here with NO RESERVE – high bidder takes it!

PLEASE NOTE: This phonograph is located in Wiscasset, Maine, and can be picked up there. For a fee, I might be able to deliver it to the UPS store in Brunswick, Maine, or to Portland, Maine, either to you or to someone who will pack it up and ship it at your expense, but if you intend to do this, you must contact me BEFORE you bid so we can discuss the delivery fee. Similarly, if you intend to bid but do not intend to come pick it up in Maine within a week or two of the auction's close, you must notify me of this BEFORE you bid so we can discuss options and delivery fees; the earlier, the better. Payment must be received BEFORE pickup or delivery is scheduled. I reserve the right to refuse sale to anyone with excessive negative feedback or an otherwise suspicious history. Payment is due within three (3) days of the auction's close. Due to its age I am selling this unit without any warranty. All sales are final.

Be sure to see all the pictures! I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have, but please try to ask as early as possible, as it sometimes takes me a while to get to my email. Please see my other listings, as I am running out of space and am thinning out my collection considerably. I am listing other fine radios, phonographs, and vintage items this week, and will be listing even more in the weeks and months to come, so please keep checking. Thanks for looking! Good luck, and happy bidding!
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

That's at least 800 above what it should be (IMO).

audiophile102
Victor IV

Post by audiophile102 »

I quote, " Best of all I am offering it here with NO RESERVE – high bidder takes it!" I was surprised that on one bid on it.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

So the seller thinks that it is "the best sounding acoustic phonograph anyone ever produced."
The Brunswick Cortez is a very fine internal horn machine, but nothing beats an EMG or an Expert.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:42 am So the seller thinks that it is "the best sounding acoustic phonograph anyone ever produced."
The Brunswick Cortez is a very fine internal horn machine, but nothing beats an EMG or an Expert.
Indeed! Even staying in the US production, the Victor orthophonics (Credenza and the like) and the Columbia Viva Tonal 810 are better designed acoustically than the Cortez. The large-horned EMGs and Experts are in a different league from all of these - but the re-entrant HMV202 comes close.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

CarlosV wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:03 am
epigramophone wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:42 am So the seller thinks that it is "the best sounding acoustic phonograph anyone ever produced."
Indeed! Even staying in the US production, the Victor orthophonics (Credenza and the like) and the Columbia Viva Tonal 810 are better designed acoustically than the Cortez. The large-horned EMGs and Experts are in a different league from all of these - but the re-entrant HMV202 comes close.
The Cortez has a sound unique to it which differs from a Credenza & Viva Tonal. Some prefer it. The would-be seller here is not the only one to choose the Cortez over the competition. To each their own... :)
I can appreciate each in their own unique way, but if I could only keep one, it would be the Credenza. As for EMG/Expert, I'm guessing not many on this side of the pond have had the pleasure of interacting with one face-to-face. I do not doubt their performance however.