Watch this video and weep.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Watch this video and weep.

Post by epigramophone »

Django
Victor IV

Re: Watch this video and weep.

Post by Django »

It’s almost like he is trying to hurt it.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Direct link to the video...
https://youtu.be/49qysETrMOs
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

If you watch other videos from this guy .. be ready to see rough treat to any other gramophone or soundbox... He takes out the soundboxes and sell many machines without the soundbox, this being sold apart from its machine... Others are complete. Uh!
Inigo

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

I was shocked the first time I saw this ham-fisted seller mistreating a machine, but as he does the same thing with every one he offers, I've come to expect it.

Barry

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

The seller is a complete jerk . I've also seen other videos he has posted in some of his previous ebay offerings where he rough handles items with little or no consideration for their age or
condition. Also frugal with the truth too , certainly not to be trusted -- he mentions that this phonograph " came with his old sewing machine " . Well maybe he bought his old sewing machine at W H Peacock's auction rooms in Bedford last week as well , where the Amberola was on offer , together with seven boxes of cylinders in the lot. Mind you , the auctioneers are just as untrustworthy -- the lot was described as " Seven boxes of pianola rolls plus an Edison pianola " . And they purport to be experts " getting the best price for their vendors " !!
Ok , I've seen stuff mis-described in auction catalogues many a time , that's not unusual , but Edison pianola ??? Dear me !!!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I can't watch the video at the moment but is this the same BS-ing little twerp who recently sold the Johnsonophone thing which was basically a clone of the HMV 113? If so, I don't think I'll ever be able to watch one of his cretinous videos ever again. Such a brute without any empathy or clue about an items age or fragility.

How come he seems to win everything at auction these days?

PS - at least the machine is a bit of a wreck and sounds terrible anyway. I'd be far more worried if he was flinging a winding handle around in a nicely polished, relatively unharmed cabinet. I've seen him do that as well as throttling a soundbox and slamming an HMV autobrake hard to start a gramophone. Most machines wouldn't last longer than a week in his incapable hands.

I have to laugh at his hand signals to the camera? Is he mute? I make my own hand signals to his handiwork. :lol:

zenith82
Victor II

Post by zenith82 »

Seeing this brought back memories of the American Tourister suitcase commercial from my childhood when they put the suitcase in the cage with the gorilla.

I guess if it's any comfort, at least it was nothing super rare or valuable.....this time.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

zenith82 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 4:46 pm Seeing this brought back memories of the American Tourister suitcase commercial from my childhood when they put the suitcase in the cage with the gorilla.

I guess if it's any comfort, at least it was nothing super rare or valuable.....this time.
I must admit that your post made me laugh !

So I had to look up the commercials on YOUTUBE.

Is this President Reagan doing the voice-over on this one ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b1aRop-UbU

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

I've never seen such apathetic and callous treatment of a phonograph and records (cylinders, in this instance) as this video reveals. Even though the Amberola 30 is in rough condition, I've seen much worse. And sliding the cylinders out and in without raising the carriage and hearing the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzip as the diamond scratches the surface is pretty awful. And playing a wax Amberol and watching the visually scored grooves from the diamond stylus afterward. : (