https://www.ebay.com/itm/125306325758?h ... SwC1ZiegA6
Attachments
s-l1600.jpeg

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Creative VV-XVI

Post by gramophone-georg »

Looks like a "Google translate" description to me. It's a nice fantasy piece with a garish price. What's bugging me is... why not also finish the back?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

gramophone-georg wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:28 pm Looks like a "Google translate" description to me. It's a nice fantasy piece with a garish price. What's bugging me is... why not also finish the back?
I have this same model XVI (he at least got the year right, it is a 1913). I don't think Victor start finishing the back until about 1916, mentality being, why finish the back if it's going to be up against a wall?

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

What I find interesting about that machine is the record trigger "stop" on the tone arm is clamped in place _ first one I've seen that isn't held in with screws.
The motor gearing is quad cut _ never knew there was that type of triple spring motor of that type with quad cut gears.

My Victor II is quad cut as well _ thought to be not original until I had the cereal number checked.

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

I know I shouldn’t, but I think I like it.😟

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

That variant of the VV-XVI had wonderful carving. It probably would have been a good candidate for gold leaf. That said, I prefer the warmth of wood, even on a VV-XX, (just my personal preference).

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Chilesave wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:50 pm I know I shouldn’t, but I think I like it.😟
Me too ;)

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

JeffR1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:17 pm What I find interesting about that machine is the record trigger "stop" on the tone arm is clamped in place _ first one I've seen that isn't held in with screws.
The motor gearing is quad cut _ never knew there was that type of triple spring motor of that type with quad cut gears.

My Victor II is quad cut as well _ thought to be not original until I had the cereal number checked.

The automatic brake first came out mid way through the run of this model, so some have the trigger screwed in, and other simply didn't have one (mine was a late 1913, and had the normal screwed in configuration). This one would have been an aftermarket addition to give the benefit of the new technology.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Zeppy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:46 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:17 pm What I find interesting about that machine is the record trigger "stop" on the tone arm is clamped in place _ first one I've seen that isn't held in with screws.

The automatic brake first came out mid way through the run of this model, so some have the trigger screwed in, and other simply didn't have one (mine was a late 1913, and had the normal screwed in configuration). This one would have been an aftermarket addition to give the benefit of the new technology.
Yep, I have the same 'aftermarket' arrangement on my 1912 L-door.

- Bill

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Zeppy wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:46 pm

That’s actually a semi-automatic brake because it has to be manually indexed. Victor didn’t introduce a fully-automatic brake until the Orthophonic Victrolas in 1925 with the eccentric run-out groove as a trigger.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan