Goodwill Victrola and record cabinet - nice deal $99

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
grampaphone
Victor O

Goodwill Victrola and record cabinet - nice deal $99

Post by grampaphone »

I am surprised by this sale. It was on Goodwill for a week, great price but local pickup only (LA California) and no one bought it. Wrong side of the country, too far for me. It got relisted. I do not recognize the phonograph, maybe a non-USA offering, but it is interesting. Great cabinet, interesting Victrola plus 50-some records. Hope someone here can find room for it.
John T

https://shopgoodwill.com/item/145732188
b44109fc-2a1b-4da7-aca4-4053bdcdfef6ocal_06072.jpg
76af2530-b60a-47b8-ad49-88bb269ca05eocal_06074.jpg

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Goodwill Victrola and record cabinet - nice deal $99

Post by edisonplayer »

Many years ago I can remember going to the Volunteers Of America store in Binghamton,NY with my friend Arthur Pare. This was back in the late 70s-early 80s.It was a common sight to see Victrolas and similar machines there.It was before the prices started to go up. edisonplayer

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

That's an HMV 150 Table Grand Gramophone, circa mid-1930s. Some previous owner, apparently, replaced the original HMV #5a sound box with an Orthophonic sound box. The record filing cabinet also looks to be an HMV product.

I agree it's a bargain! A good condition Orthophonic sound box, alone, is worth the price.

OrthoFan

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I'd consider buying just a cabinet alone like that for $99; I have a Victor III that'd look fine on top of one like that (and some records which need nice storage near a machine.)

But that HMV gramophone ought to sound fine once it's tuned up a bit. They are well-designed and late-era acoustic machines are as good as a lot of early tube-era stuff and every bit as reliable (actually, more reliable.)

Have fun, whoever's bidding. That is a mighty fine cabinet.