Edison Standard D[?] in cabinet (U.K., 28/29 July)

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Menophanes
Victor II

Edison Standard D[?] in cabinet (U.K., 28/29 July)

Post by Menophanes »

It may be too late for anyone interested to take action, but over tomorrow and Friday Truro Auction Centre in Cornwall, U.K. (https://cornwallauction.co.uk/) is including a number of machines in a mixed sale. These include this rather extraordinary cabinet based, I think, on a late-ish (Model D?) Edison Standard with Diamond reproducer, combination-attachment and an enormous, presumably non-Edison, horn. I cannot understand why the horn is sitting on what looks like a gramophone-type back bracket and completely divorced from the carrier-arm, which in turn carries only a tiny narrow horn or rather speaking-tube; has a telescopic tone-arm or a flexible hose gone missing, perhaps? I cannot find a catalogue description, but a local newspaper report suggested that the lot included 170 Amberol cylinders.

I had hoped to take a look at this item myself today, since on paper I live within a few miles of the site, but the auction centre seems to be completely surrounded by unsigned country lanes and I dare not risk my abysmal navigational skills in such conditions.

Oliver Mundy.
edison_standard_pedestal.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Edison Standard D[?] in cabinet (U.K., 28/29 July)

Post by epigramophone »

I agree that there is a piece of plumbing missing here, and suspect that it operated in a similar way to the Amberola V, i.e. a telescopic horn connection to a swivel arm and a stationary horn. It probably sounded rather good.

If I lived as close as you do I would certainly take a look. Who knows what treasure may be among those 175 Blue Amberols?

The auctioneer's website states that their premises are located on a business park, so they should be well signed.

physicist
Victor O

Post by physicist »

Does this help?
menophanes1.jpg
menophanes1.jpg (64.15 KiB) Viewed 587 times
red route directions:-

Head north on S Carn Brea
466 ft
Turn right
0.1 mi
Turn right
0.3 mi
Turn left
0.4 mi
Slight left at Copper Ln
0.2 mi
Turn right toward Bucketts Hill/B3297
85 ft
Turn left onto Bucketts Hill/B3297
0.5 mi
Turn right onto Southgate St/B3300
Continue to follow B3300
0.5 mi
At the roundabout, take the 2nd exit onto Lanner Hill/A393
0.3 mi
Turn left onto Pennance Rd
1.4 mi
Turn right onto Wheal Damsel Rd
36 ft
Turn left onto Church St/B3298
Continue to follow B3298
1.0 mi
Turn right at Telegraph Hill
0.3 mi
Turn right
75 ft
Turn left
Destination will be on the right
154 ft

St Day, Redruth TR16 5PZ, UK

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

This phonograph is worth salvaging and restoring. It will be much more convenient than a regular cylinder phonograph to play your records on, and I think the conversion cabinet makes it more interesting than a conventional Edison phonograph which you can pick up here in the States rather easily. And even if they are fairly common titles, 170 Amberol cylinders is still some good listening material. Godspeed to the auction winner.

Charles

zapper
Victor II

Post by zapper »

I remember seeing this at an auction in Ashburton, Devon in 2013. The cabinet had a square lid, which looked more like a sewing machine. I was surprised to see it appear in
the Cornwall Auction Centre. It sold today for £500+ fees, which is about the same as 9 years ago. I bought a Standard with diamond reproducer that the same owner had put together. I have since remade the carrier arm to suit the correct playing position.
Brian (zapper)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:04 am I agree that there is a piece of plumbing missing here, and suspect that it operated in a similar way to the Amberola V, i.e. a telescopic horn connection to a swivel arm and a stationary horn. It probably sounded rather good.
Yes, it probably had an elbow similar to the Excelsior back bracket on my Edison Home.
Coupled with the Diamond B reproducer, and nicely tapered tonearm, I'm sure it would sound fantastic.
Attachments
IMG_20220729_160444.jpg