VE9-54 for sale in Colorado on EBay

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Henry
Victor V

Re: VE9-54 for sale in Colorado on EBay

Post by Henry »

Wow, look at those claw feet! My grandparents had a massive dining room table, heavy mahogany, with feet exactly like those. ("How many lions died to make those feet?")

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Lovely machine, but I would be surprised if the market bears that price. 20 years ago it would have.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:59 am That is without a doubt one of the ugliest machines I have ever seen.
I would definitely have to agree with you there.
I can't help but wonder what's wrong with the top doors seeing as there's no photos of the cabinet with all the doors closed.

Without a doubt, it's an atrocious design that would perhaps best suit the Addams Family mansion :pig:
They must be incredibly rare now though. I doubt many wouldn't have become land fill by the time they were 30-40 yrs old and probably no longer worked.
My apologies to those who own one, but I honestly don't know how you can bare to look at it. Eww lol

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

There’s no accounting for taste, and each of us vary in what we like. Nice thing about that is that there’s less competition for many of the rarer models.

People go nuts over the victrola xx, and the gilded models, and phonos with painted “oriental” decorations, and the flat top pooley cabinet VTLA, and the big super-ornate senior Sonoras, and the senior (-375, -425 etc/whatever) diamond disc machines - none of which would aesthetically fit (or be welcome in) our Craftsman style and Craftsman furnished home. Too ornate and ostentatious, in contradiction to the craftsman ethos.

But the VTLA works, some of the gothic stuff would work, and the C-19/250 works, and the late 20s big Victors work. And this thing (regular style cabinet), which I think is intended to be in the style of some sort of Spanish church altar thing (for storing wafers and chalices?) is simple and sort of geometric in style and could fit. Not that I want one…but I’d take it over a moorish marquetry VTLA* in a heartbeat.

*which would of course be immediately sold to someone with a taste for that kind of stuff, to pay down one of the kids’ student loans.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

electrolaman 64 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:20 am It will be interesting to see if this sells or if he takes a more reasonable offer. That last one of these I am aware of that sold "unrestored" without albums was in 2020 at $1750.00.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185559451033?_ ... %7Ciid%3A1
Boy, I sure am glad I don't collect Victor stuff. Of course, prices and scarcity factor into that.

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:00 am
electrolaman 64 wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:20 am It will be interesting to see if this sells or if he takes a more reasonable offer. That last one of these I am aware of that sold "unrestored" without albums was in 2020 at $1750.00.

Boy, I sure am glad I don't collect Victor stuff. Of course, prices and scarcity factor into that.
That's a shame.

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Garret wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:27 am
gunnarthefeisty wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:00 am

That's a shame.
Somehow, my area of expertise, Brunswick Panatropes, seem to be both cheaper and more common despite being ultimately rarer machines.

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Eye of the beholder, eh? I would certainly try my best not to pass on one if it ever came up around here. It's pretty medieval looking
(not the one posted by Chuck... sorry, but that thing looks like a troll squatting to take a dump)