EMG Conversion with Wilson horn.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
IainW
Victor O

Re: EMG Conversion with Wilson horn.

Post by IainW »

Could the missing parts be wrapped in the corrugated cardboard package on the top shelf? Probably worth anyone interested in bidding on the machine checking.
It looks rather like the top section could be separate from the base judging by the amount of overhang at the back apparent in the picture showing the left side.

IainW
Victor O

Post by IainW »

On second thoughts it might be the photoshop artist blanking out part of the back edge of the base section!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Not used to reading auctioneers descriptions of lots because they are frankly, quite normally non-existent, I had missed the fact that the auctioneers in this instance do state the top third is completely detachable! This explains my earlier question.

Someone (EMG probably) has cut the top section of a Junior Grand off completely and possibly re-used the lid to cap off the remaining two thirds which are converted to a record cupboard by removing internal horn, hardware and motorboard.

This might explain why the heavy moldings are there to disguise the join when the two pieces are reunited. The replacement domed lid was an entirely new fixture along with the elevated motorboard and EMG hardware.

It's actually quite well thought out and some cost was obviously incurred. I don't think this was amateur night with some EMG spare parts. This is more likely the handiwork of its "conversion team".

Without the goose neck it's near worthless. With it it becomes interesting and repairable. Why do I say this? Well, when was the last time you saw an EMG Mark 8 tonearm for sale on the open market?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:52 pm
Without the goose neck it's near worthless. With it it becomes interesting and repairable. Why do I say this? Well, when was the last time you saw an EMG Mark 8 tonearm for sale on the open market?
Steve, the last photos show the soundbox and the goose neck. Apparently the machine is complete.
https://portal-images.azureedge.net/auc ... 9dda20.jpg

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:49 am
Steve wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:52 pm
Steve, the last photos show the soundbox and the goose neck. Apparently the machine is complete.
https://portal-images.azureedge.net/auc ... 9dda20.jpg
Thank you, Carlos, for confirming. Is that a new photo added?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:22 am
I cannot tell, I looked at the link only yesterday, and the photo was there.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:10 am
Steve wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:22 am
I cannot tell, I looked at the link only yesterday, and the photo was there.
I've just checked the listing against the original version and they've added 3 new photos, all showing the soundbox and the gooseneck. They even reference it in an update so I presume they've had a lot of questions about those parts!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

As I was in Cheltenham this morning I took the opportunity to view this and I took some pictures.

Something potential buyers need to know is the horn is damaged although this is not mentioned! There is a hole through it where it has been dropped at some time and the edge of a cabinet has dented it in quite noticeably. The damage is visible inside and out. It's awkward to repair as it is near the throat but the paper had torn right through and made a hole. The picture below is the outside. The photo inside just came out black so I haven't loaded it up.

Also, the auctioneers confirmed the winding handle is missing. The motor does turn but only very slowly although it is obviously wound up and is not simply just "running down".

Caveat emptor!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

The photo makes it look a little less noticeable than it does in the flesh.
Attachments
20220924_121614.jpg

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I had this answer from the auctioneers on September 15: ' Thank you for getting in touch with us. The soundbox and the tonearm end are present, and I have included some additional photographs of them here.'

I used to own this gramophone, many years ago, and the first thing you might like to know (which the auctioneers failed to mention, even though they had my Christie's catalogue description) is that it has a Garrard Super motor -- or did when I owned it. I was never certain if EMG did the conversion, but thought probably not. That lid was clearly purpose made, but somehow it didn't suggest EMG quality.

The oddities in the photos are indeed down to careless use of Photoshop to cut out the background. Oh, and when I first saw it, the estimate, I think, was £1000 - £1500, which seemed to me ok, if a little optimistic for a home-made Mark 8. I was astonished when I saw it had gone up to £4-6000. Perhaps the owner had heard of a Mark 10B Oversize and thought his must be worth the same -- it's rarer, after all, but the rarity of an object is often matched by the rarity of people who would want it.