One of a kind HMV No. 18 soundboxes reappearing for sale in Japan

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
broso252
Victor O

One of a kind HMV No. 18 soundboxes reappearing for sale in Japan

Post by broso252 »

The potentially one of a kind HMV No. 18 soundboxes which sold on UK eBay just over a month ago in large lot of soundboxes has reappeared on yahoo auctions japan, a Japanese auction site.
The soundboxes were previously discussed here on this forum: viewtopic.php?p=325646
To me, it looks like one of the soundboxes was an earlier prototype with a mark left on it to tell where to drill the hole to secure the rubber isolator. The second one seems to a closer to final model cast in potmetal and with details on the back.
I hope these can get to someone who can test and share details on them as I can't find anything on them except for what is found on that previous thread.
The service that I found the items on and link to is a service that allows for users to purchase items from Japanese sites and have them shipped internationally.
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/r1084356181
Attachments
i-img1200x673-1678342350a3bpvw459730.jpg
i-img1200x567-1678342350frx83l593078.jpg
i-img1200x495-1678342350cvc6rb982373.jpg
i-img1200x726-16783423509rqhct775517.jpg
i-img1200x478-1678342350hvq2xt146298.jpg
Last edited by broso252 on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: One of a kind HMV No. 18 soundboxes reappearing for sale in Japan

Post by Inigo »

very interesting indeed!
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I tried registering for this auction but it insists you hand over your credit card details or provide your paypal login details simply to register in order that the seller can take the money directly. I quit straight away and never gave authorisation. It might be legit but I'm not happy about that. Someone else can have them. It was stupid not to bid first time around. If only they had been available separately though and with shipping.

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

broso252 wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:03 pm The potentially one of a kind HMV No. 18 soundboxes which sold on UK eBay just over a month ago in large lot of soundboxes has reappeared on yahoo auctions japan, a Japanese auction site.
The soundboxes were previously discussed here on this forum: viewtopic.php?p=325646
To me, it looks like one of the soundboxes was an earlier prototype with a mark left on it to tell where to drill the hole to secure the rubber isolator. The second one seems to a closer to final model cast in potmetal and with details on the back.
I hope these can get to someone who can test and share details on them as I can't find anything on them except for what is found on that previous thread.
The service that I found the items on and link to is a service that allows for users to purchase items from Japanese sites and have them shipped internationally.
It is yahoo auction Japan. I bought JBL speakers (mini paragon) through them twice. I used Buyee service to send ithem to the US.
Attachments
yahoo auction japan.png

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Does anyone else think the EMI Archive really needed to get these? I'm not even sure where it is or who still runs it these days but if it still exists these prototypes really needed to be saved and kept there for posterity; collectors can't be trusted in the long-term with probably unique items. It's a bit of a travesty in my opinion that they are now in Japan.

broso252
Victor O

Post by broso252 »

Steve wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:47 pm I tried registering for this auction but it insists you hand over your credit card details or provide your paypal login details simply to register in order that the seller can take the money directly. I quit straight away and never gave authorisation. It might be legit but I'm not happy about that. Someone else can have them. It was stupid not to bid first time around. If only they had been available separately though and with shipping.
If you want to look at other proxy services there's also Fromjapam and zenmarket if you wish to bid on these items. All these will have proxy fees and other inconveniences of using a proxy service but will allow you to bid on these items and have them shipped to the US.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

If I have them shipped to the US I might just as well leave them in Japan as I'm in the UK! ;) :lol: :(

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Steve wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:33 am If I have them shipped to the US I might just as well leave them in Japan as I'm in the UK! ;) :lol: :(
Oh come now--you could have them shipped to my house; I'd even run some very extensive tests to try them out for you and make sure they still work! :lol: