Interesting old Pathéphone

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Interesting old Pathéphone

Post by poodling around »

Although it has (or had) woodworm - which I must admit would mean I would not buy it - this looks very interesting.

Rare I guess ? Incomplete maybe ? But interesting .................

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285192654954 ... R5LvtrvgYQ
Attachments
path.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Interesting old Pathéphone

Post by Steve »

I like these models, which are available in a multitude of woods, styles and sizes are similar to the "Elf" which was sold in the UK. Yes, the detachable arm and soundbox at least appear to be missing.

As for rarity, no, these are extremely common on the continent and don't make much money. The French models are numbered which was rather more typical for Pathé than the strange names which were given to those limited models sold in the UK.

This example is not worth buying and the asking price is senseless, typical of most rubbish listed on Ebay it seems.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

poodling around wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:36 am Although it has (or had) woodworm - which I must admit would mean I would not buy it - this looks very interesting.

What's " interesting " about a half - derelict machine with parts missing ? Not seen that often in this country but they do turn up from time to time and usually in better condition than this one !!

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

The seller probably thinks it has shabby sh** appeal in that awful state.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Orchorsol wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:59 am The seller probably thinks it has shabby sh** appeal in that awful state.
I dare you to buy it and paint it grey.......badly and then take some sandpaper to rough up the corners and edges a bit! :lol: With that said, this doesn't really need roughing up much.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Dulcetto wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:45 am
poodling around wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:36 am Although it has (or had) woodworm - which I must admit would mean I would not buy it - this looks very interesting.

What's " interesting " about a half - derelict machine with parts missing ? Not seen that often in this country but they do turn up from time to time and usually in better condition than this one !!
You forgot to mention, it is riddled with worm too. Maybe the greater the worm, the higher the price!

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

As Steve mentioned, there are several variations of this type of machine, including ones with metal cases instead of wood, and with the reflex surface at the bottom instead of the lid. The one in the photo is worthless - it would cost much more than the price of a full machine to procure replacement parts and remake the whole body. Some variations of this machine are quite common, like the one shown in the photo, called Pathé Coq, while others are scarce, especially the metal cased, very difficult to find in decent condition. Like most Pathé machines, these are fun to collect: I myself have some four or five variants, all utilizing the same technology but quite different from each other in terms of sizes and appearances. And they are loud!

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

These are indeed quite interesting, whether some Europeans look down their noses at them or not. Perhaps they are quite common there, but I’ve only seen two others besides mine here in the US.

They are interesting because they use the reflex horn, which no major US maker did. Other than Pathé, and the Decca portables, are there any others? Pathé stuff, and other European stuff in general, tends to be more interesting (and way more confusing) to us in the US because there is just less of it to be found here.

And Jalal Aro STILL hasn’t gotten around to writing Look For The Rooster (or something like that)!

So I guess if someone put an incomplete and beat up Edison Standard on eBay here in the US for $100, some of us might snort a little, too. What would such an item attract in the UK?

Doubtful that folks would totally dump on the thing though.

And one more thing:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285170010257

It might appear that Guido and at least one of his customers differ from the assessment that these are not interesting, or of value.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the…pond.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

PeterF wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:03 pm These are indeed quite interesting, whether some Europeans look down their noses at them or not. Perhaps they are quite common there, but I’ve only seen two others besides mine here in the US.

They are interesting because they use the reflex horn, which no major US maker did. Other than Pathé, and the Decca portables, are there any others? Pathé stuff, and other European stuff in general, tends to be more interesting (and way more confusing) to us in the US because there is just less of it to be found here.

And Jalal Aro STILL hasn’t gotten around to writing Look For The Rooster (or something like that)!

So I guess if someone put an incomplete and beat up Edison Standard on eBay here in the US for $100, some of us might snort a little, too. What would such an item attract in the UK?

And one more thing:

It might appear that Guido and at least one of his customers differ from the assessment that these are not interesting, or of value.

Point taken ! incidentally , Edison Standards are pretty common here in UK as well , ( as long as one looks in the right places for them )
and even clean examples do not always attract much interest in today's market. I recently bought a plain old Edison Standard Model A
an early version of the " New Style " case from around 1901 - 02 in green tint finish , the carriage still with lift lever , and side-arm reproducer ,
side-arm recorder (as included when new ) even the camel hair chip brush and some home recordings in the cylinders that came with it ,
together with its original horn.
The machine is in remarkably well preserved un-restored condition , which is what attracted me , sold by auction and available for all to see
as worldwide bidding was available , could only achieve 150 GBP hammer price , -- not that I'm complaining !!

Guido on the other hand is well known for his pricing levels ! usually twice to three times what anyone else would ask !
Mind you , his offerings are usually also in choice condition too ! I will be seeing him at Ruedesheim in 10 days time , so will be looking
at his stock with interest to see what he may tempt me with -- presuming I have enough euros in my pocket ha haa !!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Dulcetto wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:25 pm
PeterF wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:03 pm These are indeed quite interesting, whether some Europeans look down their noses at them or not. Perhaps they are quite common there, but I’ve only seen two others besides mine here in the US.

And one more thing:

Point taken ! incidentally , Edison Standards are pretty common here in UK as well , ( as long as one looks in the right places for them )
and even clean examples do not always attract much interest in today's market. I recently bought a plain old Edison Standard Model A
an early version of the " New Style " case from around 1901 - 02 in green tint finish , the carriage still with lift lever , and side-arm reproducer ,
side-arm recorder (as included when new ) even the camel hair chip brush and some home recordings in the cylinders that came with it ,
together with its original horn.
The machine is in remarkably well preserved un-restored condition , which is what attracted me , sold by auction and available for all to see
as worldwide bidding was available , could only achieve 150 GBP hammer price , -- not that I'm complaining !!

Guido on the other hand is well known for his pricing levels ! usually twice to three times what anyone else would ask !
Mind you , his offerings are usually also in choice condition too ! I will be seeing him at Ruedesheim in 10 days time , so will be looking
at his stock with interest to see what he may tempt me with -- presuming I have enough euros in my pocket ha haa !!
Interestingly, a cursory glance on ebay shows six Edison Standard phonographs sold. The average sale price being £ 317.