Side wind HMV 100 !!!! ????

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Side wind HMV 100 !!!! ????

Post by poodling around »

Very interesting indeed. The account the seller gives is:

'Gramophone HMV 100 unusual! serviced playing as it should.
When I acquired this gramophone I was not sure of the side wind on a HMV 100, However after some research I have gleaned that HMV were supplying this model up to 1928. They had ceased production of the model in 1925-26 but as factories abroad closed unused stock was returned to the Hayes factory. Cases and motor boards predrilled to except the front wind motor that had now become obsolete. So as cases cost a lot to make as did the motor boards, they decided to fit them with the new side wind motors that they had and sold them as a cheap alternative to the new 101.
It's not perfect a few marks here and there the lid is tight to close but it is genuine. There are lines on the lid, looks like something heavy was stored on it,
Can come with 6 random records for an extra £5
Any questions feel free to ask'

I must admit I have never heard of this before but of course I don't know everything.

Here is the link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195673078663 ... R_aY_qzhYQ

I can't recall seeing the brass coloured 'thing' on my HMV 100 - photo below with blue arrow pointing. Does anyone know what this is ?
Attachments
100bb.jpg
100.jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Side wind HMV 100 !!!! ????

Post by Steve »

A frankenphone?

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Steve wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 4:27 pmA frankenphone?
That was my initial thought too. Wouldn't be difficult to achieve . Also notice .... look closely and there are witness marks in the lid where a lid - stay was formerly on the left hand side , so something has been going on here. Early model 100's did have a left handed lid stay , and no it couldn't have been transplanted to the right hand side as being handed , the stays are different. ( I have had both left handed and right handed lid stay model 100's in the past ) Another observation .. it looks as if the lid hinge has been messed around with at some point , as its not lying entirely flat between its fixing screws -- usually a sign of a ham - fisted attempt to remove stubborn or rusted wood - screws. I would recommend caution as obviously the seller's story explaining its origins is unreliable to say the least !
Hmmmm very interesting indeed ! maybe . perhaps , I wonder !! :lol:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Another indication that this machine may have started life as a 101 is the rubber feet on the bottom case corners.
If memory serves, the 100 and the earliest 101's were not fitted with these feet.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:25 am Another indication that this machine may have started life as a 101 is the rubber feet on the bottom case corners.
If memory serves, the 100 and the earliest 101's were not fitted with these feet.
My HMV100 has metal corner fittings but does not have feet, neither. Its winder is located in the front, and its lid stay (that looks like the same as the 101) is on the right side. I am not familiar with variations over its production life, though, but I agree that the one in discussion appears to have undergone a transplant operation.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:49 pm I can't recall seeing the brass coloured 'thing' on my HMV 100 - photo below with blue arrow pointing. Does anyone know what this is ?
It's a protruding bolt that looks brass in the picture, but on mine it's steel.

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:07 am
poodling around wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:49 pm I can't recall seeing the brass coloured 'thing' on my HMV 100 - photo below with blue arrow pointing. Does anyone know what this is ?

Barry
Aha ! Thank you very much Barry.

(I can't reach my HMV 100 at the moment due to so many things being on the gramophone room floor - but when I can I will have a look).

poodling around
Victor V

Phono48 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:07 am

Barry
I found mine and as you say it is different to the brass one shown above.
Attachments
100n.jpg

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Another side-winding HMV 100. Ok, this one's obviously been re-covered, but certainly looks original otherwise?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/364156833046?ha ... R86xiqbkYQ

Barry

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Even with my best Columbo head on, I can't figure this 100 out. As Dulcetto said, there are witness marks and holes on the left side of the lid possibly indicating where a lid stay might have been but the same lid itself has the right hand needle bowls, which is wrong for a 101. Only the 100 has this lid configuration!