India, Teak HMV 114 apparently

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Jeb98
Victor Jr

Re: India, Teak HMV 114 apparently

Post by Jeb98 »

Darn too bad I missed this. Owners of the HMV 114, how do these sound compared to the 102? Do you get more bass?

Best,

Jonas

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Jeb98 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:53 pm Darn too bad I missed this. Owners of the HMV 114, how do these sound compared to the 102? Do you get more bass?

Best,

Jonas
They have a better sound generally, yes. As for more bass, I couldn't say without testing which I can't currently do. Even with the isolation applied to the horn you do get some resonance and feedback from the case. With a deeper horn throat and case made from hardwood I suppose that does alter the sound.

I've never been overly impressed with the 102 as there are many portables I prefer to it for sound reproduction but I do think the 114 still sounds quite special.

Jeb98
Victor Jr

Post by Jeb98 »

I've never been overly impressed with the 102 as there are many portables I prefer to it for sound reproduction but I do think the 114 still sounds quite special.
Very interesting. Which portables do you prefer?

Also if anyone has a 114 they are selling, let me know!

Best,

Jonas

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

I heard Ahmed's 114 in person and I have to say it was really impressive for a portable, BIG rich and full sound.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Jeb98 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:28 pm
Very interesting. Which portables do you prefer?

Also if anyone has a 114 they are selling, let me know!

Best,

Jonas
The Decca 130 is superb, as are the Columbia 112A, 113A and 202 models.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Jeb98 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:53 pm Darn too bad I missed this. Owners of the HMV 114, how do these sound compared to the 102? Do you get more bass?

Best,

Jonas
In my experience the 114 sounds closer to a table top, like the HMV130, with the impression of a better bass response than the 102, but I did not make any measurements to ascertain that impression. And I agree with Steve that the 102 is overrated, mainly in comparison with the Columbias and Deccas, and even with the US Victor VV-55.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Well if Craig "call me Jake" Feek is selling this for profit at £400, the mind boggles. Clearly he did buy it cheaply after all!

Even at £400, he'll be paying £40 in fees.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:15 pm Well if Craig "call me Jake" Feek is selling this for profit at £400, the mind boggles. Clearly he did buy it cheaply after all!

Ha ha ha !

I must admit though, I prefer to find things in dusty sheds and in the wild - this thing seems to have been involved in a permanent session of pass the parcel. Still a good gramophone though I assume.

Of course, you could always go to view it and work your magic - having three would be amazing !

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:50 pm
Steve wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 3:15 pm Well if Craig "call me Jake" Feek is selling this for profit at £400, the mind boggles. Clearly he did buy it cheaply after all!

Ha ha ha !

I must admit though, I prefer to find things in dusty sheds and in the wild - this thing seems to have been involved in a permanent session of pass the parcel. Still a good gramophone though I assume.

Of course, you could always go to view it and work your magic - having three would be amazing !
Personally speaking if he wants all the stuff as much as he seems to, I wish he'd just keep it all and enjoy it instead of trying to be the next Dave Smith and selling it on straight away on Ebay. This reminds me of the advertising hype for "Jaws 2" back in the day......

"Just when you thought it was safe to be a collector, comes Craig Feek......terrifying collectors everywhere. You won't be able to sleep. The nightmare continues. Only on an Ebay near you now!" :lol:

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

The bottom of the case must be trashed. He's probably slid it across the sharp, gritty top of his brick wall to photo it without anything obviously protecting the underneath and is unsurprisingly shy about showing that side in the listing. Its not an unfinished ply board, it would have been polished the same as the rest of the case. Its a portable, not a table model. Maybe it wasn't good when he bought it?

He doesn't have the tonearm rest and restraint either but doesn't even bother to mention that in the listing, as though that's not significant! :roll: