Another EMG. Another clueless auctioneer.

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Another EMG. Another clueless auctioneer.

Post by emgcr »

Wonderful result and many congratulations both on the excellence of the restoration and the speed with which it all took place ! It really is a marvelous gramophone which will give lots of happiness after slumbering for so many years. The Garrard 10B motor now seems strong and stable and I agree with your comments about the horn comparisons to Edison Diamond Disc machines---very similar. Posterity is well catered for in your caring and expert hands. Well done indeed !

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

emgcr wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:36 pm Wonderful result and many congratulations both on the excellence of the restoration and the speed with which it all took place ! It really is a marvelous gramophone which will give lots of happiness after slumbering for so many years. The Garrard 10B motor now seems strong and stable and I agree with your comments about the horn comparisons to Edison Diamond Disc machines---very similar. Posterity is well catered for in your caring and expert hands. Well done indeed !
I agree with Graham! That must be a record turn around (haha....pun intended) from dismal auction presentation to now looking great and sounding better. Well done, Ahmed, and thank you for sharing photos of the horn. I've never taken a screwdriver to a Mk IV to look underneath the bonnet, so to speak.

I wonder how many gramophones were ever made with papier applique internal horns? The EMG Mk IV was one, the Apollo Super 9 was another. Does anyone know of any others?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Thanks for the photos, very interesting.
Inigo

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Ahmed wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:04 pm It's a brilliant little performer, isn't it! I suppose if they couldn't offer something beyond what the mass market competition was doing, they wouldn't have done it.

The horn is an L shaped exponential horn made of paper applique, pictures attached. It reminds me of the horn on the Edison Diamond Disc machines, which are also fabulous performers for their size.

Ps; these are pictures after the insides have been cleaned and all the spiders evicted... I'll spare you the before photos 😅

Pss; I just put a few layers of felt above the horn to catch any oil that may drip off the motor
Thanks a lot for the pictures.

Andreas