HMV Gramophone model 163

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

HMV Gramophone model 163

Post by poodling around »

Jake Score strikes again !!!!

I have no idea really - but to me this looks nice and in oak ? (Looks like mahogany to me ?????).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204355096861 ... R-7G7veOYg
Attachments
163.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: HMV Gramophone model 163

Post by JerryVan »

poodling around wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 11:14 am Jake Score strikes again !!!!

I have no idea really - but to me this looks nice and in oak ? (Looks like mahogany to me ?????).

It is mahogany. People don't know their wood species anymore.

They need a refresher course... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcTXBhYzfM

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

JerryVan wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:12 pm

It is mahogany. People don't know their wood species anymore.

They need a refresher course... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBcTXBhYzfM
Very good. Thanks as always Jerryvan.

I may be wrong, but I think Mahogany is far more sought after than oak in terms of this gramophone - so maybe more of a bargain ?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

At least he didn't try to photograph it balanced on his garden wall :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Never mind the 163, I'm surprised......no, frankly amazed, that no one has yet mentioned the Chinoiserie 162 he has at £1200!

It's nowhere near as nice as the one I owned over a decade ago in the same blue colour and mine had gold plated hardware and was a proper finish on a grounded base. It didn't have the HMV decal which is quite normal. JS/CF Ebay example has the HMV decal but it looks to be an after-market finish over a standard oak model. It's definitely oak underneath, not that JS/CF would know the difference if it was perched on his garden wall and fell on him but......

The Chinoiserie 162 was passed over by CLPGS auction go-ers and ironically then came to me at a CLPGS Phonofair. Given where it ended up, I wish I'd held onto it now but £600 seemed a good price when I had no room to house it anywhere.

Okay, another thing that I find irritating is when I see comments like this: "The top isn't 100% perfect". Really? You don't say. The thing is almost 100 years old. Why not simply show us the top properly then in good clear well lit photos so we can make up our minds for ourselves, instead of omitting pictures and / or including foggy dark pictures that don't show anything properly? He's done the same thing with that 114. I asked to see the underside of the case and he promised to send a picture but never has done but said "it's not as good as the rest, if I recall". I don't want anyone's power of recall, I want to SEE for myself, needless to say I won't be buying it or the "oak" mahogany 163 or the 162 or anything else from this guy.
Last edited by Steve on Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:35 am, edited 4 times in total.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Steve wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:29 am
The Chinoiserie 162 was passed over by CLPGS auction go-ers and ironically then came to me at a CLPGS Phonofair. Given where it ended up, I wish I'd held onto it now but £600 seemed a good price when I had no room to house it anywhere.
I don't remember the blue 162, but I do remember the black chinoiserie 192 which sold at the CLPGS auction in 2007.
Few people at the hotel had room in their cars to take it home, and it sold for a modest £200.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:24 am
Steve wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:29 am
I don't remember the blue 162, but I do remember the black chinoiserie 192 which sold at the CLPGS auction in 2007.
Few people at the hotel had room in their cars to take it home, and it sold for a modest £200.
I remember that 192. I did think it looked a little too much like a coffin stood on end though. Still, as you say, it wasn't expensive. There were quite a few large estate cars in the car-park so I guess they just weren't the right buyers for it.

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

It is mahogany. I bought mahogany one from him, he was very helpful for shipping it to the US, but strange, why did he say it is oak. It looks obvious.