Parlophone Pathé Portable ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Parlophone Pathé Portable

Post by Phono48 »

poodling around wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:45 pm Is the winding handle sticking out of a hole at an odd angle ?
I hadn't noticed that! So it would appear that the Pathé tag has been used to cover the original winding hole, and as originally stated, has nothing whatsoever to do with the Parlophone machine.

Barry

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Parlophone Pathé Portable

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:51 am
poodling around wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:45 pm Is the winding handle sticking out of a hole at an odd angle ?
I hadn't noticed that! So it would appear that the Pathé tag has been used to cover the original winding hole, and as originally stated, has nothing whatsoever to do with the Parlophone machine.

Barry
Well, let me first just wish you and everybody else reading the forum, a very Happy New Year with lots of excellent collecting opportunities and fine purchases headed your way!

Now, this machine......you are quite right, Barry, it has been re-motored and the Pathé ID tag with a completely misleading model reference, has absolutely no part of this machine, being simply something conveniently at hand for the "restorer" to use to cover the original winding hole. It is a Parlophone machine, not a Pathé. It has less to do with Pathé than my left foot!

I believe the seller has simply fed the winding handle into the makeshift hole without threading or engaging it into the winding gear. That is why it is barely visible outside the case and appears to be at an odd angle.

It's anyones guess what motor is now in there!