HMV model - Japanese ?

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

HMV model - Japanese ?

Post by poodling around »

I wonder which model this is ?

Does it have a Japanese style winding handle ?

Is the brown turn-table cloth original ?

I just thought this might be an interesting HMV model ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386674323410 ... R8Tb5-OkYw
Attachments
green.jpg
green2.jpg

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: HMV model - Japanese ?

Post by Orchorsol »

Others with more knowledge of HMV portables will confirm or otherwise, but it looks to me kike an ordinary Model 97.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Orchorsol wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:04 am Others with more knowledge of HMV portables will confirm or otherwise, but it looks to me kike an ordinary Model 97.
Yep, it's a bog-standard 97, albeit a very tatty one!

Barry

poodling around
Victor V

Thank you very much for the information orchorsol and Phono48.

Greatly appreciated.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The brown turntable felt and the No.23 soundbox identify this 97 as a wartime model.
Materials and components were in short supply, so HMV used whatever they had.
Pre-war 97's had the No.21 soundbox, and coloured versions had matching turntable felt.
This "Wreck of an old 97" (forgive me Vernon Dalhart) is located in Somerset, but I won't be rushing to purchase it.
Attachments
23.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:31 am The brown turntable felt and the No.23 soundbox identify this 97 as a wartime model.
Pre-war 97's had the No.21 soundbox, and coloured versions had matching turntable felt.
This "Wreck of an old 97" (forgive me Vernon Dalhart) is located in Somerset, but I won't be rushing to purchase it.
Very interesting indeed eigramophone.

I know very little about Japanese portable gramophones but wonder - is the winding handle typical of Japanese models - the shape of the ends - the flatish plastic bit on one end and the non-screw 'slot' type which winds the motor on the other ?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

poodling around wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 am
epigramophone wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:31 am The brown turntable felt and the No.23 soundbox identify this 97 as a wartime model.

I know very little about Japanese portable gramophones but wonder - is the winding handle typical of Japanese models - the shape of the ends - the flatish plastic bit on one end and the non-screw 'slot' type which winds the motor on the other ?
I'm not sure where you're getting the Japanese link from? As others have said it's a bog standard 97, albeit in tatty condition. It's not Japanese or even Japanese influenced.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:12 pm
poodling around wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:54 am

I'm not sure where you're getting the Japanese link from? As others have said it's a bog standard 97, albeit in tatty condition. It's not Japanese or even Japanese influenced.
Hello stranger !

Well, what I think was a made in Japan (?) portable Columbia was sold on ebay recently and it seems to have a very similar winder ... so I wondered if there was a connection ?

[urlhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/386662421228?hash=it ... R57lj9GlYw][/url]
Attachments
japan.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

UK Columbia acquired the Nipponophone company and their Japanese factory in 1927, and manufactured gramophones there well into the EMI (post 1931) era.
HMV and Victor had a reciprocal agreement whereby neither would operate in the other's territory. Japan was in Victor's territory, which is why there are no Japanese HMV machines.

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:20 pm UK Columbia acquired the Nipponophone company and their Japanese factory in 1927, and manufactured gramophones there well into the EMI (post 1931) era.
HMV and Victor had a reciprocal agreement whereby neither would operate in the other's territory. Japan was in Victor's territory, which is why there are no Japanese HMV machines.
Very good. So although the handles are similar there is no Japanese connection for HMV.

Very interesting indeed.