E.M.G. Gramophone Mk.4. c1929

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: E.M.G. Gramophone Mk.4. c1929

Post by Steve »

Curt A wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:34 pm It would be an easy fix from weather beaten to very nice. No major finish issues - mainly surface cosmetic...
The front of the cabinet is split and there is quite a bit of woodworm to fix too. It's not a great example in my book and would need a cabinet overhaul with refinishing, something I'd personally steer away from these days. I also can't help but be reminded of what Frank James thought of the Mk 4 every time I look at it. He was not impressed with the sound this particular model reproduces. I thought it was okay for a table gramophone but I've heard much better machines of a similar size.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Steve wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:38 am
Curt A wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:34 pm It would be an easy fix from weather beaten to very nice. No major finish issues - mainly surface cosmetic...
The front of the cabinet is split and there is quite a bit of woodworm to fix too. It's not a great example in my book and would need a cabinet overhaul with refinishing, something I'd personally steer away from these days. I also can't help but be reminded of what Frank James thought of the Mk 4 every time I look at it. He was not impressed with the sound this particular model reproduces. I thought it was okay for a table gramophone but I've heard much better machines of a similar size.
Cor Blimey !

So it's gone from 'Weather Beaten' to 'Woodworm Infested', 'Case splitting' ...... with a sound quality that a Geisha Portable would rival :lol:

Talk about 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder !

poodling around
Victor V

Very interesting CurtA.

I have seen some of your restorations and 'creations' and they certainly are 'a joy to behold' !

poodling around
Victor V

Well, it sold for £1,330.12 (twelve pence ???!!!) - which wasn't so far off £ 1,500.

Of course opinions differ, but from what I can see, in my personal opinion, this was great value.

I noticed a day or two ago that the accessories included (what I think is) an EMG Wax container ? I have never seen one before in a sale and I guess it will be a long time before another one shows up. It would be great to hear from the buyer to know if there is any wax left inside !

I hope some-one on here got it and it would be great to hear what they think about everything.

Jaso
Victor O

Post by Jaso »

My friend bought it and it’s now part of our collection at the Finnish Gramophone Museum.

poodling around
Victor V

Jaso wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:23 pm My friend bought it and it’s now part of our collection at the Finnish Gramophone Museum.
Well, this is absolutely fantastic news !

It is wonderful to know that these important items will be available 'for all to see' and in 'very safe hands'.

Another very happy ending !