Brown (or is it grey) HMV 101

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
poodling around
Victor V

Brown (or is it grey) HMV 101

Post by poodling around »

Well, the seller hasn't specified a colour so maybe both of us are unsure ............

If only it was dark blue - I mean, you know where you are with dark blue .... :roll:

Deja-Vu: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=56542&hilit=grey+hmv+101

[urlhttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/176267149590?itmmeta ... R9jNrODAYw][/url]
Attachments
grbr.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Brown (or is it grey) HMV 101

Post by epigramophone »

The colour of the turntable felt confirms that this is a Grey 101.
The Brown 101 has the same dark brown felt as the Black version.
Don't be fooled by the low starting price, "Reserve not met" means the seller has set a reserve of at least £50.
Why then start the auction so low?

poodling around
Victor V

epigramophone wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:51 am The colour of the turntable felt confirms that this is a Grey 101.
The Brown 101 has the same dark brown felt as the Black version.
Don't be fooled by the low starting price, "Reserve not met" means the seller has set a reserve of at least £50.
Why then start the auction so low?
Very interesting and thank you epigramophone.

I notice that the gramophone may not have an ivorine type id tag.

Anyway, nice to see a gramophone with a colour which is a little bit unusual perhaps.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

This being a late example, the autobrake intrudes where the circular ivorine plaque was located on earlier examples.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm certainly feeling the pain of that Frank Sinatra "microgroove" vinyl record. Does the seller not know the difference between a shellac 78 record and an LP? :? :shock: I'm a member of another music forum where I know some folks would be almost in tears seeing that!

As for the 101, it is quite obviously GREY (how could it be brown when it's clearly grey in colour?) as Roger has correctly stated. It is already more expensive than the last 3 to be sold, especially as the condition isn't the best. For some reason the grey ones do not attract much interest, either back in the day or even with collectors today. The latter is especially surprising to me given the relative scarcity of the colour.

poodling around
Victor V

Steve wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:27 am I'm certainly feeling the pain of that Frank Sinatra "microgroove" vinyl record. Does the seller not know the difference between a shellac 78 record and an LP? :? :shock: I'm a member of another music forum where I know some folks would be almost in tears seeing that!

As for the 101, it is quite obviously GREY (how could it be brown when it's clearly grey in colour?) as Roger has correctly stated. It is already more expensive than the last 3 to be sold, especially as the condition isn't the best. For some reason the grey ones do not attract much interest, either back in the day or even with collectors today. The latter is especially surprising to me given the relative scarcity of the colour.
Well, if you think the Frank Sinatra vinyl record isn't treated very well - then have a look at the record in this video on ebay - No-one uses shellac 78 records with gramophones any more, they are just so passe !!!! :shock:

Oh, credit where credit is due, at least the sound-box is being used at the correct angle ! :lol:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/375283688036 ... _Auction=1

Another music forum ?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Someone is going to get a cheap good 102 in a couple minutes...
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

Inigo wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:57 pm Someone is going to get a cheap good 102 in a couple minutes...
I just hope that the seller includes the 'Barry Manilow - Burmuda Triangle' 45 single ! :)