EMG Sound-box

Post links to auctions and classifieds here
User avatar
poodling around
Victor V
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:52 am

Re: EMG Sound-box

Post by poodling around »

leels1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:41 pm The purchaser must have been keen. The last few bids were against themselves.

I’m going to be controversial here. Although I don’t own an EMG, I do collect soundboxes. I have some Experts and EMGs and have to say, I prefer the Meltrope II. Don’t know why, but the sounds range seems greater, and that’s fiddling a lot with the setup of all types.
I agree - no controversy here.

I prefer my 'B.R.O.S.' sound-box and the 'HMV 18'. The two Meltrope II's I have I prefer too.

I tend to like EMG sound-boxes not because of their sound but because I think they are like 'works of art'. Lovely engineering.

I know this is very subjective and there are 'sound charts' which show how great EMG's are but, as you say, individual preference.

leels1
Victor I
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:40 am

Re: EMG Sound-box

Post by leels1 »

poodling around wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:26 pm
leels1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:41 pm The purchaser must have been keen. The last few bids were against themselves.

I’m going to be controversial here. Although I don’t own an EMG, I do collect soundboxes. I have some Experts and EMGs and have to say, I prefer the Meltrope II. Don’t know why, but the sounds range seems greater, and that’s fiddling a lot with the setup of all types.

I agree - no controversy here.

I prefer my 'B.R.O.S.' sound-box and the 'HMV 18'. The two Meltrope II's I have I prefer too.

I tend to like EMG sound-boxes not because of their sound but because I think they are like 'works of art'. Lovely engineering.

I know this is very subjective and there are 'sound charts' which show how great EMG's are but, as you say, individual preference.
All a matter of personal taste yes. I agree though the way the EMG soundboxes are made is artful. The idea of modifying an Exhibition like this, and adding the springs in this way is very novel. The 4 spring Expert is very well made and it does sound great, but IMHO maybe not “the pinnacle”. I like the extra side springs as they do stop some lateral movement.

I think I have a BROS one. Is it quite large with an odd type diaphragm? I’ll dig mine out and post a pic.

User avatar
poodling around
Victor V
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:52 am

Re: EMG Sound-box

Post by poodling around »

leels1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:55 pm
poodling around wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 2:26 pm
leels1 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:41 pm The purchaser must have been keen. The last few bids were against themselves.

I’m going to be controversial here. Although I don’t own an EMG, I do collect soundboxes. I have some Experts and EMGs and have to say, I prefer the Meltrope II. Don’t know why, but the sounds range seems greater, and that’s fiddling a lot with the setup of all types.

I agree - no controversy here.

I prefer my 'B.R.O.S.' sound-box and the 'HMV 18'. The two Meltrope II's I have I prefer too.

I tend to like EMG sound-boxes not because of their sound but because I think they are like 'works of art'. Lovely engineering.

I know this is very subjective and there are 'sound charts' which show how great EMG's are but, as you say, individual preference.
All a matter of personal taste yes. I agree though the way the EMG soundboxes are made is artful. The idea of modifying an Exhibition like this, and adding the springs in this way is very novel. The 4 spring Expert is very well made and it does sound great, but IMHO maybe not “the pinnacle”. I like the extra side springs as they do stop some lateral movement.

I think I have a BROS one. Is it quite large with an odd type diaphragm? I’ll dig mine out and post a pic.
Very interesting indeed.

Yes, the B.R.O.S. sound-box is very large but very light in weight. Mine just has the B.R.O.S. word stamped on the front edge.

It received some very good reviews in 'The Gramophone Magazine'.

leels1
Victor I
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:40 am

Re: EMG Sound-box

Post by leels1 »

This is the BROS. Is yours similar?
Attachments
IMG_5800.jpeg

User avatar
poodling around
Victor V
Posts: 2247
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:52 am

Re: EMG Sound-box

Post by poodling around »

leels1 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 1:35 pm This is the BROS. Is yours similar?
I hope it is okay leels - I have just transfered the disussion to here:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=58437

as I think we should start a new thread in a different section.

Post Reply