Wanted: Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie on 78 disc

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
pmilton
Victor Jr

Wanted: Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie on 78 disc

Post by pmilton »

I am looking for this 78rpm record on 12". The piece title is Ride of the Valkyries. I have a Columbia Graphonola and I have the Prelude, act I and act II, they sound great on this machine so I would love to have Act III. I've looked on trade lists and other sources online but I thought I'd check here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: Wanted: Wagner's Ride of the Valkyrie on 78 disc

Post by gramophone-georg »

pmilton wrote:I am looking for this 78rpm record on 12". The piece title is Ride of the Valkyries. I have a Columbia Graphonola and I have the Prelude, act I and act II, they sound great on this machine so I would love to have Act III. I've looked on trade lists and other sources online but I thought I'd check here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
On Columbia or another label?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Several versions to look for. Here are just a few :
Attachments
col.jpg
col.jpg (19.76 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
hmv.jpg
hmv.jpg (139.07 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
victor 2.jpg
victor.jpg
victor.jpg (122.09 KiB) Viewed 1836 times

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Which of these pictured records is electric?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The Columbia is electric. The HMV is acoustic, but Coates later re-recorded the piece electrically.
As for the Victors, I assume that the Stokowsi is electric but I don't know about the Vessalla.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

You will find many versions, both acoustic and electric. Even repeated ones, for example Stokowski and the Philadelphia orchestra did early electrical versions of classical pieces around 1925/1927 and repeated many recordings again from 1935 onwards, with different matrix numbers, when the recording technology at RCA improved. I these later recordings to sound better played on modern equipment than in gramophones. The earlier ones are better suited for orthophonic machines.
Inigo

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

According to the on-line Victor Discography, the Stokie/Phila. Orch. recording was made in 1921, thus acoustic: https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... ictor_6245

Same source says Vessella band rec. 1914: https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... ctor_35369

BTW, it's "The Philadelphia Orchestra," not "Philadelphia Symphony Orchestra." Unless there were two different orchestras, which I doubt. Victor got it wrong on the label.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

What kind of Grafonola do you have? The early models will sound better with acoustic records, and the Viva Tonal models work great with electrics.

That would help a lot.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

There was not an early electric version of Stoky/Phila Ride of the Walkyries. There were two trials to record a Walküre selection, in 1933, October and November, on 12" sides and program transcriptions, which were unsuccessful. And finally in April 1934, Victor recorded the Walküre selections in eight 12" sides, which was issued, and was the last recording of this music.
Inigo

pmilton
Victor Jr

Post by pmilton »

The ones I have are on the Victor label and recorded by the Victor Orchestra I do not know what the year of recording is, these were part of a collection that belonged to my grandfather that I have only recently came to own. The Graphanola I have is a Columbia floor model. I would be ok with it performed by other orchestra's but if anyone knows where I could get it by the Victor Orchestra, that would be appreciated.