Rare or not? Advice please!

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: Rare or not? Advice please!

Post by Orchorsol »

I have a spare 'Sounds Of Time' set you're welcome to if you'd like it Antonia.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Antonia E wrote:
JerryVan wrote:Appears to be written with a fountain pen? If so, suggests some age at least.
Oh lordy... well now I have to stop using my own fountain pen haha! (I'm hardly a spring chicken... although there are plenty of springs in the house these days!) :lol:

Ha. I used one also, up until a couple years ago. Got tired of having to constantly disassemble it to clear ink clogs.

Polyphone
Victor II
Personal Text: There is a fine line between clever and stupid

Post by Polyphone »

Here is the skinny from the Brian Rust Historical Records book. With this info you might be able to dial it in......if the shellac runoff has no Brunswick #7810, it is a bootleg.

Rust has the recording being made on December 10, 1936.....Rust was typically very accurate and he was a Brit....why would he have referenced Dec. 10th regarding such a landmark speech?

With just a quick listen to the Brunswick version (~15 seconds shorter of just KEVIII's voice) and the others, the Brunswick may be a studio field recording and other version was taken from the BBC broadcast.

Please let us know what you find out......Ken
Attachments
IMG_3838.jpg

Antonia E
Victor O
Personal Text: Round, like a badger with a frizbee, running rings around a spoon...

Post by Antonia E »

Orchorsol wrote:I have a spare 'Sounds Of Time' set you're welcome to if you'd like it Antonia.
That would be wonderful - thank you for such a kind offer :) :) :)
"I might of come across a darned sight cleverer if I'd kept my mouth shut....."

Antonia E
Victor O
Personal Text: Round, like a badger with a frizbee, running rings around a spoon...

Post by Antonia E »

JerryVan wrote:
Antonia E wrote:
JerryVan wrote:Appears to be written with a fountain pen? If so, suggests some age at least.
Oh lordy... well now I have to stop using my own fountain pen haha! (I'm hardly a spring chicken... although there are plenty of springs in the house these days!) :lol:

Ha. I used one also, up until a couple years ago. Got tired of having to constantly disassemble it to clear ink clogs.

Great minds think alike! :)

Antonia E
Victor O

Post by Antonia E »

Polyphone wrote:Here is the skinny from the Brian Rust Historical Records book. With this info you might be able to dial it in......if the shellac runoff has no Brunswick #7810, it is a bootleg.

Rust has the recording being made on December 10, 1936.....Rust was typically very accurate and he was a Brit....why would he have referenced Dec. 10th regarding such a landmark speech?

With just a quick listen to the Brunswick version (~15 seconds shorter of just KEVIII's voice) and the others, the Brunswick may be a studio field recording and other version was taken from the BBC broadcast.

Please let us know what you find out......Ken

Starting to sound like a bootleg! Tomorrow I shall take a recording of it and post the YouTube link here :) I have to admit there is something I find oddly hilarious about the concept of a bootleg shellac involving a King. Sort of like coming across a set of “Genuine Pyjamas worn by George Washington” complete with washing machine instruction label haha!

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Antonia E wrote:, but then I tend to mangel my words with the greatest of ease :)
But do you mangel your wurzels? ;)

-Bill

Antonia E
Victor O

Post by Antonia E »

Lucius1958 wrote:
Antonia E wrote:, but then I tend to mangel my words with the greatest of ease :)
But do you mangel your wurzels? ;)

-Bill
Wurzels is mades to be mangled - and I’s thunk that without even havin’ me thinking head on ;)

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In Somerset we are very proud of our Wurzels. We even have records of them :
Attachments
adge.jpg
adge.jpg (181.64 KiB) Viewed 1050 times

Antonia E
Victor O

Post by Antonia E »

epigramophone wrote:In Somerset we are very proud of our Wurzels. We even have records of them :
Fabulous band!! I had a good friend from Devon when I was at uni, he was born in Somerset and his family relocated - he’d play the Wurzels on cassette often and they were glorious fun! The Blackburd Song was my favouirite by a long chalk! Where be it blackbird to...., I know where it be....

Wonderful!!!!!