The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEEEDING HELP WITH RECORDS
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:21 pm 
Victor O
phonograph collector
Hi, I had a friend pass that was a record collector and I went to look through his record collection on Saturday. He has over 500 records. A lot of the records are 1 sided Monarch, Columbia, Silvertone, Lakeside, Zonophone... I did look through some and did buy some. All of the titles sound interesting, coon songs, uncle Josh... Can someone give me an idea on what to look for and average price for a decent record??? Most all are 10" I have pictured a few that I bought for my display. Thanks, Tom

Attachments:
record 6.jpg
record 6.jpg [ 125.08 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]
record 5.jpg
record 5.jpg [ 48.26 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]
record 4.jpg
record 4.jpg [ 102.14 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]
record 3.jpg
record 3.jpg [ 76.5 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]
record 2.jpg
record 2.jpg [ 106.85 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]
record 1.jpg
record 1.jpg [ 48.2 KiB | Viewed 855 times ]

Post subject: Re: NEEEDING HELP WITH RECORDS
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:46 am 
Victor Monarch
Needle Tins are Addictive
"Can someone give me an idea on what to look for and average price for a decent record???"

Sorry if this seems like a short and evasive reply, BUT there are no "average" prices, what would constitute a "decent" record in your mind might be junk in mine and how can anyone but yourself tell you what to look for or what you might like? For example: the records you listed above would not be of interest to me, except for "Baby Face" and I already have one. That doesn't mean the other records aren't any good, they are just not interesting to me...

Music is a totally personal thing - what I like, you might hate and vice versa... It has taken me more than 30 years to decide NOT to buy records based on the titles, but how they actually sound and if they appeal to me. It also takes years to listen to various genres and types/titles of music that I wasn't familiar with to come to a recognition of the styles and genres that I actually LIKE... Price is another thing - some collectors pay enormous prices for stuff that I wouldn't even be interested in. There are thousands, if not millions, of records and the only way to familiarize yourself with them is to spend time researching them and listening to them (youtube is a great place to test your interests). As far as general pricing, most records are worth only a dollar or less...

To understand your question in a different light, consider this: "I'm looking for a car, what is the average price of a decent used one, what color would I like, what make and model would be the best for me to look for?"
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:42 am 
Victor IV
Keep'em well oiled
And the question is... How much did you pay for the ones you bought from him?
Inigo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:42 am 
Victor IV
The black and silver Columbia that you have of President McKinley's speech isn't by the man himself. It was recorded posthumously by either Len or Harry Spencer.Some people think it's actually McKinley speaking, but it's not edisonplayer.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:10 pm 
Victor Monarch
I hate posts where someone asks a question, answers are given, additional questions are asked AND... no reply from the original poster... :?

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:45 am 
Victor II
edisonplayer wrote:
The black and silver Columbia that you have of President McKinley's speech isn't by the man himself. It was recorded posthumously by either Len or Harry Spencer.Some people think it's actually McKinley speaking, but it's not edisonplayer.

I think the clue there is that the label actually says the speech was by the "Late" president...if someone thinks it was given by the president himself, it must have been via Ouija board! ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:46 pm 
Victor IV
Life's Short. Be Happy!
I have found over the years that the same often heard saying for books, is true of records. You can't judge a record by it's title. I have bought many records that certainly had interesting titles but the contents were far from interesting. Edison records seem to be some of the worst offenders in my opinion. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:46 pm 
Victor Monarch
phonogal wrote:
I have found over the years that the same often heard saying for books, is true of records. You can't judge a record by it's title. I have bought many records that certainly had interesting titles but the contents were far from interesting. Edison records seem to be some of the worst offenders in my opinion. :roll:

Absolutely right, especially on Edison.

A friend of mine paid a high price for an Edison cylinder titled "A Message From Mars" - it has to be great with a title like that... Right? No, it was some bland disappointing orchestral piece, as I remember, not worth listening to... We never could figure out what that title had to do with the content.

That taught me not to buy any record based on its title... Actually, some of the better Diamond Discs are the ones marked with a red star stamp, which Edison designated as poor sellers or potential losers... Why trust a deaf guy, who didn't like jazz, to make music decisions? :?

My Wife

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:51 pm 
Victor IV
Life's Short. Be Happy!
Curt A wrote:
phonogal wrote:

A friend of mine paid a high price for an Edison cylinder titled "A Message From Mars" - it has to be great with a title like that... Right? No, it was some bland disappointing orchestral piece, as I remember, not worth listening to... We never could figure out what that title had to do with the content.

That taught me not to buy any record based on its title... Actually, some of the better Diamond Discs are the ones marked with a red star stamp, which Edison designated as poor sellers or potential losers... Why trust a deaf guy, who didn't like jazz, to make music decisions? :?

I agree. Some of Edison's best records are the Red Star records. I think I have an Ellen Coleman Red Star that'
s pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:02 pm 
Victor II
Curt A wrote:
phonogal wrote:

"A Signal from Mars" was a march and two step written by Raymond Taylor and arranged and published by E.T. Paull in 1901 (see sheet music below). Could that be what it is? It is much more collectible as lithographed sheet music than as a record, if you ask me.
John

Attachments:
Signal from Mars.jpg
Signal from Mars.jpg [ 13.4 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]