Wanted : Beethoven Symhony no.7

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Wanted : Beethoven Symhony no.7

Post by drh »

Rick E wrote:I have 2 copies. The first is Columbia Masterworks Set no. 260 - Felix Weingartner conducting the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. There are 9 sides on 5 records, with the tenth side having Prometheus Overture. The records in the album are labelled 68561-D to 68565-D (CHAX 79 - 88). The look visually to be in excellent condition - shiny with no obvious cracks, scratches, or chips.
The second is also Columbia (Made in England) by the same conductor and orchestra, labelled L.X. 8235 - 8239 (CHAX 79-88). The records are not in the original album.
I also have two versions of Symphony No. 6 and one of Symphony No. 9, but I would have to check them for completeness an quality.

Any or all for cost of UPS shipping from Huntington NY 11743 to you. Please estimate shipping cost if interested.

Rick
A word of warning about the Weingartner/Royal Philharmonic Beethoven 6th: like many English-derived Columbias of its period, all sides have the problem of speed creep. That is, the speed for correct pitch at the center is higher than that at the rim, meaning the pitch will sag across the side if played back at constant RPM. Unless you have perfect pitch, not too noticeable if you play the sides one at a time, but a definite pain if you mean to transfer them and splice the sides together. I would be surprised if that issue arises with the VPO Beethoven 7th--at least, while I don't have a copy of my own to check, that set isn't of the period and provenance that would make it suspect. On the basis of the 6th, I'd be suspicious about Weingartner's earlier recording of the 7th with the Royal Phil, however.

Unfortunately, Weingartner recorded the 6th only once. A shame that the set has that problem, because it's a glorious performance.