WANTED: Boston Pops on Victor 12160, First Press Scroll

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

WANTED: Boston Pops on Victor 12160, First Press Scroll

Post by gramophone-georg »

I am looking for a first pressing Scroll issue of an otherwise common record- "Jalousie" backed with "Ritual Dance Of Fire" by Fiedler and the Boston Pops on Victor 12" 12160. Please PM me if you have one available in top condition. Thanks!
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

rojoknox
Victor Jr

Re: WANTED: Boston Pops on Victor 12160, First Press Scroll

Post by rojoknox »

Greetings from RojoLand!

Victor 12160 first appeared in the April 1938 "New Victor Records" supplement; thus there is no Scroll-label issue (at least in the US; if issued in Argentina, that would be a Scroll). It was released at least six months after the Scroll label was replaced with the Rings type. "Jalousie" was recorded 1 Jul 1935, "Ritual Dance Of Fire" 28 Jun 1937 (both in Symphony Hall, Boston MA). The former side was recorded at 77.42 rpm, and the latter may have been as well (it seems just a tad sharp to me when played at 78.26).

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: WANTED: Boston Pops on Victor 12160, First Press Scroll

Post by gramophone-georg »

rojoknox wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:30 pm Greetings from RojoLand!

Victor 12160 first appeared in the April 1938 "New Victor Records" supplement; thus there is no Scroll-label issue (at least in the US; if issued in Argentina, that would be a Scroll). It was released at least six months after the Scroll label was replaced with the Rings type. "Jalousie" was recorded 1 Jul 1935, "Ritual Dance Of Fire" 28 Jun 1937 (both in Symphony Hall, Boston MA). The former side was recorded at 77.42 rpm, and the latter may have been as well (it seems just a tad sharp to me when played at 78.26).

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year,

J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"
Hi Rojo!
Thanks for this information. I wasn't aware of the huge gap between the recording and release of this record. Seems the gold circular is the first issue then, and this would explain why I have never seen a Scroll version.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek