FOR SALE- Records (Various)- some nice ones! Pics Now

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: FOR SALE- Records (Various)- some nice ones! Pics Now

Post by gramophone-georg »

gramophone-georg wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:36 am I am once again clearing some duplicates from my collection. Hopefully you'll find that gem you've been seeking!

1. Bluebird B-10244, Duke Ellington Orch. "Got Everything But You" / "Jubilee Stomp". Visual E- that plays as new on these hot 1928 sides, with Bubber Miley prominent throughout. A few light scratches and an edge flake A, not affecting play $20.00 SOLD!

2. Brunswick 7923, Glenn Miller Orch., "Sleepy Time Gal" / "Community Swing". Great sides by Miller's pre- fame JAZZ outfit, 1937! Visual E-, plays E+ to NM, a choice copy. $30.00 SOLD!

3. Victor 24839, LIBBY HOLMAN with Richard Himber Orch, "You And The Night And The Music" / "When You Love Only One". Two great performances by the talented and troubled Holman, and one of her tougher discs. A became a huge hit for Sinatra in 1961 with a Johnny Mandel arrangement.
Visual E to E-, plays E+ or better $25.00 SOLD!

4.Victor 24617, Duke Ellington Orch., "Cocktails For Two" / "Live And Love Tonight". Two iconic Duke Depression- era instrumentals. Visual E, plays E+ or better. Tiny piece of label adhesive A. $20.00

5. Victor V-40140, Blue Steele Orch, "You're So Different" (Waltz) "Coronado". Full disclosure- I've never played the A side. B is a great mellow jazzy "lights down low" number. Steele is a Southern territory band, which is likely why this wound up on Victor's "Hillbilly" series. Visual V+, plays E or better $15.00 SOLD!

6. Victor 22645, Shilkret: "The Moochi" / Wayne King Orch: "Speak Easy" (Bolero). Two out of the ordinary sides and a really fun listen. Before King became the "Waltz King" he made some nice jazzy dance sides, of which this is one. Visual V+, plays E-, large label sticker A $15.00 SOLD!

7. Victor 20994, Jack Crawford Orch., "Baltimore" / Jean Goldkette Orch with Trumbauer and Bix and all the good guys in their last iconic session playing "Clementine". This is quite possibly the first real Swing record, and people who were lucky enough to hear the Goldkette band live often commented that THIS record was the closest to their live sound. Crawford was an interesting guy, a big man like Whiteman, who styled himself the "Clown Prince of Jazz". This version is pure 20s exuberance. Visual V, mainly due to scuffs and spots. Still plenty of life left, expect V+ to almost E on the ears. $15.00 SOLD!

8. Victor 24255, Isham Jones' Orch., "You've Got Me Crying Again" / "Honestly". Great Depression dance sides with lush Hi Fi sound. Tiny 1932-early 33 scroll labels. Visual E, plays E+ at least $20.00 SOLD!

9. Sunburst Decca 482, Dorsey Brothers' Orchestra, "Footloose and Fancyfree"/ "You're All I Need". Holy crap, this band was wonderful! Bob Crosby was the usual male vocal, but on this one a kid named Bob Eberle took over. The last name got changed to "Eberly" a little later, and Bob E became the vocalist after Bob C left to front his own band, just before the big blowup between Tommy and Jimmy when Tommy walked out and swiped all Joe Haymes' best guys to go it alone. The DBO became the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra, stayed with Decca, and Bob Eberly stayed with JD for many years. Visual E- plays that or better due to it being a Decca. Radio station labels both sides $15.00

10. Victor "Victor Record Society" special pressing VRS-2, Tommy Dorsey Orch., Buff labels with turquoise print, Dorsey caricature and signature A. "Milenberg Joys" / Part 2. I have only seen 2 of these issues and I bought them both before I realized they were the same record. This looks like some sort of a "record club" promo. The two sigs are slightly different on the two copies, and unmistakably Dorsey's. A previous owner, "Pete" put a sticker on the B side label (thankfully!) The catalog numbers in the runouts are "VRS-2A" and VRS-2B". There is NO evidence of the regular catalog number for this disc having been removed or rubbed out, which leads me to believe that this issue is a standalone, and possibly a different take than the regular release. If you are a Dorsey fan, as I am, you need this! I have never seen any other issue of this series with this label in 50 years of collecting. If you have, please PM me with details!
Visual E+, plays as new $90.00 SOLD!

11. Victor 22192, Helen Kane, "Aint'Cha?" / "I Have To Have You". Great sides by the original "Boop- Oop-A-Doop" girl. Visual E-, plays E+ or better
$10.00 SOLD!

12. Victor 22186, Johnny Marvin, "Lucky Me- Lovable You" / "HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN". Recorded in October 1929, this is one of the earliest- if not THE earliest- recording of Happy Days that isn't by the composers. Interestingly enough, the Casa Loma Orch. also coupled their version of this tune with the same A side. Visual E, plays E+ or better $15.00 SOLD!

13. Brunswick 3975, "Bennie" Goodman's Boys, "Shirt Tail Stomp" / "Blue". Iconic very early sides under the leadership of Benny Goodman. Visual V that plays V+ to almost E-, faded labels. These don't grow on trees. $45.00 SOLD!

14. Brunswick 8010 "Art" Shaw and his New Music, "Just You, Just Me" / "I'm Yours". Artie's fabulous pre- fame band in 1937. Did Artie ever release a "bad" side? If so, I can't remember. Tony Pastor is in this great band. Visual E, plays E+ or better, and another "toughie"! $25.00 SOLD!

15. Silvertone 8312 "Silvertone Melody Men", AKA Carl Fenton Orch (Off Gennett Electrobeam as "The New Yorkers") "Orange Blossom Home" / "You're The Cream In My Coffee". Two surprisingly hot sides by this badly underrated band! Visual E-, plays at grade or slightly better due to somewhat hissy shellac. Dime store price tag on B side label. $25.00 SOLD

PayPal "Friends and Family" or checks accepted. As always, offers gladly considered, postage is extra, satisfaction is guaranteed.
Updated status on these- looks like editing window has passed.
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

I've got that same signed Tommy Dorsey! Those are all unique signatures as he personally signed each one. So happy to find this in a stack of swing band era records in a batch, couldn't believe my luck!

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Dischoard wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:46 am I've got that same signed Tommy Dorsey! Those are all unique signatures as he personally signed each one. So happy to find this in a stack of swing band era records in a batch, couldn't believe my luck!
Lucky!

I forgot I already had one and bought another... and paid way too much for both of them. :lol:

That's three of this series that I have heard of and they are all the same record. Wonder if any others got released...

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

From what I read it was a "short lived" series and as I've only ever seen this one record I'm guessing it was really short lived ;)

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

Please check for PM. I am interested in #6 & 7.

Jim

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

phonojim wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:11 pm Please check for PM. I am interested in #6 & 7.

Jim
Hi Jim- Offer accepted and PM replied. Thanks!