For Sale: 2 EARLY Columbia Classical Sets- Various

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

For Sale: 2 EARLY Columbia Classical Sets- Various

Post by gramophone-georg »

I'm offering two very nice and very hard to find duplicate Flag Label Columbia acoustical symphonic sets from my collection.

1. The first set is Masterworks No. 5, and is Tschaikowsky's Symphony No. 6 on four 12" discs, by Sir Henry Wood conducting the New Queen's Hall Orchestra. Records are all E to E+ and play beautifully with nicmissing fe labels. The binder is somewhat "challenged". While it presents well overall, the top of the spine has issues as shown, the sleeves are just starting to detach from the old binding tape inside, and the sleeves are fragile with tears and flakes. All sleeves are splitting on the bottom. Drawstrings are intact. $100.00

2. The second set is Masterworks No. 10, and is by the same artist and orchestra as the first. Cesar Franck's Symphony In D Minor is the piece. This set is also four records, all in E condition, and they play flawlessly. This set has extensive notes by a previous owner (dated Feb. 1967) inside the front cover and on the first sleeve as shown. Binder spine has been repaired with black tape and a Dynolabel added as pictured. Sleeves are in somewhat better overall condition than the first set, but are separating from the spine and are split on the bottom- and fragile. Stickers on all labels. S100.00

Bundle special: buy both for $175.00 plus media mail shipping.

As always- satisfaction guaranteed- Offers welcome- Payment by PayPal "Friends and Family" or personal check.
Attachments
IMG_3445.JPG
IMG_3446.JPG
IMG_3447.JPG
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Re: For Sale: 2 EARLY Columbia Classical Sets- Various

Second set- Cesar Franck
Attachments
IMG_3439.JPG
IMG_3440.JPG
IMG_3441.JPG
IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3444.JPG

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

These are acoustically-recorded sets from 1923–24 and would have been listed only for a few years. Unfortunately both works were severely cut. Nonetheless they are of great historical interest – especially the Tchaikovsky, since Wood (conductor for nearly fifty years of the Promenade Concerts, or 'Proms', which are still presented annually today by the B.B.C.) was particularly noted for his impassioned interpretations of Russian music in his early years; moreover, I believe he never re-recorded the work. I once had a copy of this set in its British form (light-blue labels, L 1489–92), but mine lacked the album. Columbia's acoustic orchestral recordings are generally much warmer and less desiccated in tone than those issued by H.M.V. /Victor.

Oliver Mundy.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Oliver- thanks much for the input. I am more of an enthusiast than an archivist on these sets, so a more scholarly input is always appreciated. I have always enjoyed Wood's interpretation of the Russkiis, but wasn't aware of his being particularly noted for this. In fact, personally, I think Wood is pretty much neck and neck with Kondrashin in this regard. Just my opinion.

Incidentally... I've discovered I have yet a THIRD copy of this Pathetique in a much tattier cover with one modern white sleeve subbed for the missing original in dusty E- condition (clean them first!) that I would let go at ½ the price if anyone's interested. SOLD!!
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pallophotophone
Victor II

Post by pallophotophone »

Hi George,
I'll take the tatty one. Please.

BH

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

pallophotophone wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:17 pm Hi George,
I'll take the tatty one. Please.

BH
You got it! PM sent.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

Offers? Check my other ads, too- happy to combine shipping. Thanks!