FOR SALE: Random Prewar Jazz/ Dance Bands- Various

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

FOR SALE: Random Prewar Jazz/ Dance Bands- Various

Post by gramophone-georg »

1. Brunswick 4013, Bennie Goodmans' Boys, "Room 1411" / "Jungle Blues". Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey all here. Great hot trad jazz sides by the future King and Sultans of Swing! Visual V, sticker on label A, tight stabilized hairline into about the first 10mm of grooves doesn't affect play. Aurally about E-, but an audible (but not really annoying) swish the first part of both sides. R-A-R-E! $45

2. Columbia 2698-D, Savoy Orpheans, "The Cat And The Fiddle"- Gems / Part 2. Great Britpop on E+ ROYAL BLUE shellac. Plays like a new one! $25 SOLD!
3. Vocalion 2786, Carl Shaw Orch., "Don't Let It Bother You" / "Out In The Cold Again". Mildred Monson both sides. E+ plays NM $25
4. Decca 1304, Dorsey Bros. Orch., "Eccentric" / "You're Okay". Great hot early swing sides with a rare appearance by Jimmy on trumpet A. Visual E-, plays E but with Decca hiss $30

5. Harmony electric 1188, Hotel Penn. Music (Jack Albin) "The Kiss Waltz" / "On Revival Day". Hot B, Visual V++, plays E $25
6. Columbia 1742-D, Anson Weeks Hotel Mark Hopkins Orch., "Ploddin' Along" / "Senorita". Great hot dance A- this band could sizzle! Visual E, plays E++, $25

7. Perfect 5-11-09, Johnny Hamp Orch., "I'm Sittin' High On A Hilltop" / "Thanks A Million". Visual E-, plays NM. This record is JOHNNY McAFEE's debut as a vocalist- he later went on to great fame with Tony Pastor and Harry James. $20 SOLD!

8. Conqueror 8085, Freddy Martin Orch. "Farewell To Arms" / Chick Bullock ARC group "I'm Playing With Fire". Visual E, plays E+ or better. Bunny Berigan present on A. Both sides as "Dick Cherwin". $15

9. OKeh 41372, Tommy Bohn Penn Sirens Orch., "The Perfect Song" / "Amos and Andy". Visual V to V+ with some deep groove wear B, but it still plays V+, and better with a 2.5 stylus. RARE! $25

10. OKeh 41458, Fred Gardner's Texas University Troubadors, "No Trumps" / "Daniel's Blues". Visual V, plays V+ or better but rough start A that quickly clears up. Another real hot rarity! $30

11. OKeh 40986, Fred "Sugar" Hall Sugar Babies, "Plenty Of Sunshine" / "Look In The Mirror". Arthur Fields vovals. This same lineup recorded some Edison DDs as "Arthur Fields and his Assassinators", but the OKeh sides are hotter, and this is no exception. Visual V+ that plays E- at least, $35 SOLD!

12. Champion Electrograph 15677, Carl Fenton Orch. (as "Dick Burton"), "My Annapolis And You" / "Weary River". Off Gennett. Visual V, plays about V+, $15

13. Brunswick 4376, Earl Burtnett LA Biltmore Hotel Orch., "Low Down Rhythm" /Got A Feelin' For You". Great sides by a great West Coast territory band- on an Aussie pressing! Visual V to V+, plays V+ or better $15

14. Brunswick 3484, Mound City Blue Blowers, "What Do I Care What Somebody Said" / "NERVOUS PUPPIES". Visual E-, plays E or better. Nutty fun stuff! $20 SOLD!

15. Columbia 2761, Phil Harris Cocoanut Grove Orch. "You've Got Me Crying Again" / "What Have We Got To Lose?" Visual E+, plays NM, fine early Harris from 1932! $35. SOLD!

As always- Satisfaction Guaranteed, Offers Welcome, Paypal or your good check accepted!
Attachments
IMG_4109.JPG
IMG_4110.JPG
IMG_4111.JPG
IMG_4112.JPG
Last edited by gramophone-georg on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

donniej
Victor III

Re: FOR SALE: Random Prewar Jazz/ Dance Bands- Various

Post by donniej »

I'll take the following...
11. OKeh 40986, Fred "Sugar" Hall Sugar Babies, "Plenty Of Sunshine" / "Look In The Mirror". Arthur Fields vovals. This same lineup recorded some Edison DDs as "Arthur Fields and his Assassinators", but the OKeh sides are hotter, and this is no exception. Visual V+ that plays E- at least, $35

I do love some late Arthur Fields!! :D

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

donniej wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:14 pm I'll take the following...
11. OKeh 40986, Fred "Sugar" Hall Sugar Babies, "Plenty Of Sunshine" / "Look In The Mirror". Arthur Fields vovals. This same lineup recorded some Edison DDs as "Arthur Fields and his Assassinators", but the OKeh sides are hotter, and this is no exception. Visual V+ that plays E- at least, $35

I do love some late Arthur Fields!! :D
Good choice!
I've been a huge fan of the Hall/ Fields records for years and have collected about all of them, up till about 1931 when they went full hillbilly. Before that, they're an excellent example of early "fusion" jazz, or what likely would have been called "southern fried jazz" in the '70s. They appear under a bunch of pseudonyms on different labels. One of my favorites is "Puttin' On The Ritz" backed with "Harmonica Harry" as "Bud Carson's Collegians" on Champion Electrograph.

BTW, speaking of all things Ritz... I haven't forgotten- mail service STILL seems to have issues out my way. I have three packages (incoming) MIA- outbound seems OK but "3 day" Priority is taking a week or better.

PM in a sec.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Put me down for this one:

15. Columbia 2761, Phil Harris Coconut Grove Orchestra: "You've Got Me Crying Again" / "What Have We Got To Lose?" Visual E+, plays NM, fine early Harris from 1932! $35.

~ Charlie

gramophone-georg
Victor VI

CharliePhono wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:18 pm Put me down for this one:

15. Columbia 2761, Phil Harris Coconut Grove Orchestra: "You've Got Me Crying Again" / "What Have We Got To Lose?" Visual E+, plays NM, fine early Harris from 1932! $35.

~ Charlie
You got it! Working on putting up some other offerings now so LMK if you want anything else.