Wanted: High Quality photo of Edison DD 51008-L label

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Wanted: High Quality photo of Edison DD 51008-L label

Post by Dischoard »

I've been repairing my diamond disc records that are missing labels. About half of them retain the originals but the other half I've had to go to the internet in order to find suitable replacements. https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/ has been a great source for high quality digital photos but, alas, they don't have an image of the Broadway Dance Orchestra label for 51008-L. Anybody have one in their collection and can take a decent cell-phone picture of it?

Victor VI

Re: Wanted: High Quality photo of Edison DD 51008-L label

Post by 52089 »

You may want to try to find a copy of the Charles Gregory set of 4 volumes of Diamond Disk labels. If no one else helps you in the next day or 2, I'll get my copy out and send you a scan. The labels are slightly smaller than actual size, but I would think it wouldn't bee too difficult to manipulate that.
Last edited by 52089 on Tue May 18, 2021 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Here's the Charles Gregory scan Dischoard mentioned above.
The four-volume books are very handy, and a few years back they were being offered at a steep discount.
Bob
Edison 51008-L label.png
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

That's terrific, thanks so much! I'll definitely look for the book set and in the meantime I'll take this image,
add a little sepia and see about getting it matched up. I appreciate the above and beyond here. Cheers!

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

So I printed out that image and it turns out that the book image itself doesn't really match as it's much too starkly black and white. Typically I've been using photos from https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... detail/432 which are nice clear photos of actual records with all of their aged sepia-tone on full display. Looks like I'm still on the hunt for a photo of 51088-L

coyote
Victor II

Post by coyote »

My copy doesn't have a great label, but perhaps this scan may be a help to you. The lines in the tops of the catalog number and the matrix number are actually printed that way on my label. I hope the label version matches your R side.
51008L-C.jpg

Dischoard
Victor II

Post by Dischoard »

Ah, that looks to be a beautiful match. Thanks so much, I believe that's just what I was looking for. I like the signs of wear and time on the label, it'll match mine very well.

Thanks again!