Can anyone explain this?

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Can anyone explain this?

Post by Curt A »

I have noticed before that prices for Chinese records is unusually high... but WHY, especially in light of 2020 ???
$200.00 :?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/324718149417?_ ... nl%3Dmkcid
Screen Shot 2021-07-19 at 5.49.37 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Victor VI

Re: Can anyone explain this?

Post by 52089 »

2020 is completely irrelevant in this context. Most of the buyers for these are Chinese people with major league money buying up stuff that was never common to begin with. Lots of better machines are finding their way over there too.

dyxshop
Victor O

Post by dyxshop »

I think it is aimed at certain specific groups of people and has no practical meaning :D

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

What on earth does covid have to do with Chinese history and musical culture??? So do you look down on Chinese people and their culture for something they had nothing to do with?

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Mormon S wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:58 pm What on earth does covid have to do with Chinese history and musical culture??? So do you look down on Chinese people and their culture for something they had nothing to do with?
No, I am not a racist, but it is extremely naive to think that certain CCP Chinese people had nothing to do with it... besides, who mentioned Covid?

No, I am not a fan of ANY Communist culture...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Curt A wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:38 pm
Mormon S wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:58 pm What on earth does covid have to do with Chinese history and musical culture??? So do you look down on Chinese people and their culture for something they had nothing to do with?
No, I am not a racist, but it is extremely naive to think that certain CCP Chinese people had nothing to do with it... besides, who mentioned Covid?

No, I am not a fan of ANY Communist culture...
Its pretty obvious you were talking about covid, and if not that then something that was at the fault of government and not normal people. I am also not a fan of genocide, slavery, segregation, redlining, bombing of innocent middle eastern people etc, but I don't completely devalue American culture or stereotype people.

If you want to continue this conversation, do so privately, this is not a political forum, but I also don't want new users to think things like this can be posted without pushback, especially with the lack of moderation

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Please re-read my original post, since you are accusing me of making a political statement and lecturing me, as if you were a self appointed moderator. You read what you thought into my post, to come up with politics, since I was only asking why the price of a Chinese record would be so high... I would assume that no one would want one... for many logical reasons. Maybe I should be banned, for daring to ask this question... the CCP would.

My Wife

Mormon S
Victor III

Post by Mormon S »

Curt A wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:19 pm Please re-read my original post, since you are accusing me of making a political statement and lecturing me, as if you were a self appointed moderator. You read what you thought into my post, to come up with politics, since I was only asking why the price of a Chinese record would be so high... I would assume that no one would want one... for many logical reasons. Maybe I should be banned, for daring to ask this question... the CCP would.
Fair enough, everyone else is open to interpreting you're wording however they wish.

To answer the question, it would be for the same reasons any other record would be priced as highly, rarity, demand, or maybe an unrealistic price that it will never sell for.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

52089 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:16 pm 2020 is completely irrelevant in this context. Most of the buyers for these are Chinese people with major league money buying up stuff that was never common to begin with. Lots of better machines are finding their way over there too.
^^^this.
The "nouveau riche" class in China (as well other Asian countries) have been very active in purchasing so-called archaic western sound system items for many years. If you'd like further proof, look to the larger audio electronics world. Especially sought after are cinematic items, i.e. tube amps and loudspeakers that comprised the sound systems used in theaters, recording studios, etc. The Japanese began to understand their value well over 50 years ago, and today's lucrative prices are reflected in the tastes of the wealthy Chinese, I think.

I would guess this same phenomenon extends back in history to those items preceding the "electronic age".

Cheers,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I find it interesting that the Orthophonic era scroll label was still used in 1943 --

https://www.discogs.com/label/1644498-V ... o-Of-China

I see that the building that housed the recording studio still stands -- https://www.victorrecords.com/internati ... ng-studios

Back to your original question, the economy of China actually grew during 2020 -- https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55699971 -- as did certain sectors throughout the globe--logistics, for instance. Also, the sale of these records is not limited to China. In fact, I know a few Chinese-Americans living in San Francisco who might find this record of interest, though not necessarily at the seller's asking price.

OrthoFan