For Sale $500 - 18,000 78rpm disc collection in Southen Ontario

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
Governor Flyball
Victor II

For Sale $500 - 18,000 78rpm disc collection in Southen Ontario

Post by Governor Flyball »

A gentleman up in Southern Ontario Canada is wishing to dispose of 18,000 discs. The ad on Facebook Marketplace.

The collection is a mixed bag of everything mostly from the 1910's through the 1950's. Mostly popular, there is a smattering of classical. And the majority look to be 10 inch.

I went to have a look. The mass of recordings fill an entire 10' x 20' shed with tons more in two adjacent sheds. I was negotiating for taking over this stuff but currently I simply do not have the space. And my interest is more to the classical and operatic and less to the popular.

I have posted pictures of what I saw. The majority seem to be more of the common fare stuff but I did spot various interesting labels and rarer stuff. Trouble is there is so much to sift through.

The collection is just outside Toronto and if anyone is interested let me know. I would be happy to help with the logistics but during these Covid times and the border restrictions I know this will be difficult. I have only a mild interest in this myself as the amount is vast and it is an all or nothing proposition.
Attachments
RECORDS4.jpg
RECORDS3.jpg
RECORDS2.jpg
RECORDS1.jpg
Last edited by Governor Flyball on Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: For Sale $500 - 18,000 78rpm disc collection in Southen Ontario

Post by Inigo »

Mississauga...? Heavens, it seems as the collection of poor Steven C Barr, author of the Almost Complete 78rpm Dating guide.... God bless him! Latest news were that he was in a nursery home, and his landlord took over his collection or something, David Lennick was the last to give news when I asked him, several years ago. I don't know if he's in the forum, I used to see him at 78-L.
Inigo

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

That record collection puts mine to shame! You'll need a big uhaul truck to take that lot home.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

You couldn't store that in your house, it would collapse it... The price is cheap enough, but it makes me lightheaded and my eyes glaze over, thinking about sorting all of it... :lol:
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Governor Flyball
Victor II

Some of the pictures are deceiving in the volume of discs. The first photo is five milk crates of discs wide with full stacked shelves either side going back some 15 feet with stacked shelves of discs across the back. In between there is only crates of discs as far back as I could see.

Here are some more photos of the crates removed and a look at the woodemn shelves in the empty shed.
Attachments
191489948_10165422611825121_6782265996895005952_n.jpg
190801242_10165422611795121_1027411668056317555_n.jpg
190564066_10165422611800121_6234742945426302814_n.jpg

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

Inigo wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:15 pm Mississauga...? Heavens, it seems as the collection of poor Steven C Barr, author of the Almost Complete 78rpm Dating guide.... God bless him! Latest news were that he was in a nursery home, and his landlord took over his collection or something, David Lennick was the last to give news when I asked him, several years ago. I don't know if he's in the forum, I used to see him at 78-L.
:cry:

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

This is awe inspiring, jaw dropping, it's both amazing and anxiety inducing at once. I want so much to look through it all but do not want the responsibility to do so. Wow... just wow.

Governor Flyball
Victor II

I am not sure if this is the remnants of Steve Barr's collection. I disassociated it but it may be. The seller said that it was an amalgamation of other collections.

Nevertheless it looks as if the collection has been minimally picked through and I suspect there are quite a few gems.

I know there is a lot to go through and maybe a more in depth investigation is warranted but at 3 cents per disc, even if there is only one good one out of every ten, that still is only 30 cents per disc.

I appreciate few private replies of interest to this. I would welcome your thoughts on this. Especially in light of the discussion when each of us go, where will this stuff go?

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Governor Flyball wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:17 pm
I would welcome your thoughts on this. Especially in light of the discussion when each of us go, where will this stuff go?
I've been thinking this same thing. We collect all these years just to be sent to a nursing home and have someone try to unload it online to whomever will take it. The moral of this story is enjoy your collection, use it, listen to it, get joy out of it. If it no longer brings you joy, sell it off and use the money to do something that does bring you joy. It's a tough thing to do. It's REALLY fun when you pick up a rare record, just gotta remember to give it a spin or two ;)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That's it! And if the preservation bug bits, then scan the record to YouTube or send the raw mp3/wav files to an institution for processing and storage. If they want to proceed, because this also costs money, a lot!
I've always thought that this heritage is an enjoyment, and records must be played and things used, with the proper care. After all, we cannot preserve all. Things are things, and no more than that.
Sometimes I imagine I make an arrangement with an institution : I donate my collection and in turn they hire me until my retirement in doing the transfers and working on that. That would be my dream work! Or setting a Foundation myself to donate my collection to it, and earn a living from it, giving gramophone concerts, etc... A dream!
Inigo