WANTED: "The Charleston" by any of the artists listed

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
jmad7474
Victor I
Personal Text: "Don't Deny Yourself the Sheer Joy of Orthophonic Music"

WANTED: "The Charleston" by any of the artists listed

Post by jmad7474 »

Hi all,

I'm posting this per the request of a relative who wants to replace his broken copy of "The Charleston" with another playable one. He is ideally looking for a copy of it on the Bell label (#351), recorded by the Hollywood Ramblers in 1925, and has the B side of "Yes Sir, That's My Baby". It looks like the only coupling of "The Charleston"/Yes Sir, That's My Baby" is this version on Bell.

However, what is making his search for this record rather problematic is that this version of "The Charleston" was released under a variety of labels and pseudonyms. According to Brian Rust, "Hollywood Ramblers" is a pseudonym for the "Texas Ten", among others. Matrice number of "The Charleston" is 6015, which is a renumbering of corresponding Pathé matrices appearing as:

Pathé Actuelle 036251 - Westchester Biltmore Orchestra
Banner 1540 - The Texas Ten
Domino 3510 - Six Black Dominoes
Oriole 413 - Dixie Jazz Band
Perfect 14432 - The Blues Chasers or The Texas Ten
Regal 9835 - The Texas Ten
Pathé 6823 - Charleston Ramblers
Salabert 148 - Charleston Ramblers
Silvertone 2493 - Lanin's Roseland Orchestra
Apex 8355 - Six Black Diamonds
Imperial 1477 - Six Black Diamonds

If anyone here has a copy of this record in at least VG condition and is looking to sell it, please PM me with your asking price and I will let my relative know as soon as possible. Thank you!

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: WANTED: "The Charleston" by any of the artists listed

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

I believe Don Wilson also makes a reproduction 78 (that will hold up to steel needles) of this recording. I'm not exactly sure which label. Unfortunately, it's single sided (and obviously not quite shellac, but close enough)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Regarding Don Wilson's replica discs, they have the advantage over shellac in that they're much harder to break if you drop them, and (since they don't need an abrasive molded in) they have very quiet surfaces.

Durability seems about the same as a good-condition batwing Victor, and we all know those last a long time. He has some older copies of some discs & also the new recording of "Mahogany Hall Stomp" (which isn't the Charleston but I still want it.)

donniej
Victor III

Post by donniej »

Thanks guys!
I have many of the bigger label versions of "Charleston" available as reproductions, and some duplicates of the smaller labels that I would be willing to part with.

The versions I know I have repros of include Victor (both the Arthur Gibbs 1923 version and Paul Whiteman's), Columbia, Vocallion, Perfect, HMV, Sunset and Edison DD.
For those not familiar, check out the Columbia version (the Knickerbockers), it's a good one!