SOLD - MUSSOLINI Message to The American People VICTOR 35803 FASCIST RARE 78 $150

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
Polyphone
Victor II
Personal Text: There is a fine line between clever and stupid

SOLD - MUSSOLINI Message to The American People VICTOR 35803 FASCIST RARE 78 $150

Post by Polyphone »

FOR SALE - MUSSOLINI Message to The American People 12" VICTOR 35803 FASCIST, RARE 78, E to E-, very light grain, excellent labels. 1930.

$150 plus $6 shipping within the United States, worldwide at cost.

Thank you, Ken
Attachments
IMG_7395.JPG
IMG_7398.JPG

Ben the phono man
Victor II
Personal Text: Genuine New Jersey Native

Re: SOLD - MUSSOLINI Message to The American People VICTOR 35803 FASCIST RARE 78 $150

Post by Ben the phono man »

I have this record! Didn't realize it was so rare!
- Ben

gunnarthefeisty
Victor III
Personal Text: Started collecting in August 2020, small collection of records

Re: SOLD - MUSSOLINI Message to The American People VICTOR 35803 FASCIST RARE 78 $150

Post by gunnarthefeisty »

Ben the phono man wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:25 pm I have this record! Didn't realize it was so rare!
Would you mind transferring it?
Thanks!

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

gunnarthefeisty wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:40 pm
Ben the phono man wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:25 pm I have this record! Didn't realize it was so rare!
Would you mind transferring it?
Thanks!
I second this notion!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

There was a lengthy description of the record including a transcript posted in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23168&hilit=mussolini

There may be a link to the audio there as well.

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

This is a translation Ken sent me when I bought this record.

Steve

Here is a translation of the speech......not perfect but decent. :) Ken

MESSAGE FROM HE BENITO MUSSOLINI (TO THE NORTH AMERICAN PEOPLE AND THE ITALIANS OF AMERICA)
GROUP : SPEECHES: BENITO MUSSOLINI
Text : Benito Mussolini
MENU
DISCOGRAPHY
The Message was collected by the National Society of the "Gramophone" of Milan to be broadcast by the great newspaper "The Chicago Tribune" through its radio station "WGN" in Chicago.

With deep satisfaction, and realizing an authentic and not recent desire of mine, I take the opportunity to make my voice reach the great overseas nation, its citizens and hard-working Italian emigrants.
I have the most cordial friendship for the United States and I find that modern Italy has close and authentic ties with few countries as with them. In fact, both the continuous commercial exchanges, both the influx of great human currents, and also an undeniable desire to know and appreciate us, have established assiduous relations between the two countries and have given birth to a mutual moral understanding, from which it is naturally a mutual sympathy emerged. Both nations, in fact, have many points in common; like America, even Italy today is healthy, simple, full of self-confidence. Add to all this the fascination our two civilizations exert on each other, the American attraction to our millennial and ever-re-flowering civilization, the
'I myself am a sincere admirer of this American civilization. I see in it - despite its European origins - a new force, rich in powerful elements that are entirely its own. Its most marked and most seductive originality is having, as a basis, work, understood with a new and beautiful concept. In fact, work is no longer conceived as a kind of punishment that man is forced to undergo due to a tragic unchangeable destiny; but it is instead conceived as the true purpose of life: this is a point of view that truly has great importance in the history of humanity. The United States thus offers us the admirable example of this ardent and indomitable urge to work, of this eagerness to produce wealth and then spread it around the world, for its greater fertility.
This civilization has been accused of being dominated exclusively by mechanical and material factors, of being centered only on the desire for profit. Nothing could be more false. North American civilization has made no small contribution to the spiritual activity of the world. In science it has produced the genius of an Edison. In literature and philosophy he can boast the glories of Longfellow, Cooper, Whitman, Emerson, Poe, London, Twain, James. And this civilization, I believe, will give even more in the future. It will inevitably create a new art, young in spirit and fresh in form, an art with truly its own characteristics and which will be representative of the feelings, thought and life of the American people. Mixed with American society, there are now millions of Italians, who have established a new life there: they are financiers, professionals, industrialists, workers; humble or obscure, all worthy of the greatest respect. While keeping deep in their hearts the love for their distant homeland and the cult of the land where they were born, they are deeply and sincerely attached to the great nation in which they live and work. And I, just as I do not miss an opportunity to praise them for their conduct that has surrounded them with affection and esteem, so I do not cease to recommend to them discipline and the utmost respect for local institutions and devotion to the host country. they are deeply and sincerely attached to the great nation in which they live and work. And I, just as I do not miss an opportunity to praise them for their conduct that has surrounded them with affection and esteem, so I do not cease to recommend to them discipline and the utmost respect for local institutions and devotion to the host country. they are deeply and sincerely attached to the great nation in which they live and work. And I, just as I do not miss an opportunity to praise them for their conduct that has surrounded them with affection and esteem, so I do not cease to recommend to them discipline and the utmost respect for local institutions and devotion to the host country.
Animated by these sentiments, convinced of the existence, between the United States and Italy, of the profound ties I have spoken of, I have seen with great satisfaction the knowledge of Italy and the understanding of fascism make their way more and more in the great starry republic. . Now, finally, everyone in America knows the Italian people no longer as a decorative element of romantic landscapes, but as a people rich in patriotism, industriousness and energy, disciplined and balanced, austere and active. Everyone recognizes his new spirit, in which every activity is multiplied and in which everyone acts moved by a superior national purpose. And almost everyone today sees in the Fascist Regime what it really is: a popular movement that has exalted all national values; a strong government that reorganized the nation by multiplying its productivity and energy; a political system that has created a truly new and modern state, an organic and stable political-social edifice, in which all legitimate interests are balanced and harmonized.
This recognition by the United States could not be missing. In fact, apart from the spiritual similarities that I have already mentioned, other factors also inevitably contributed. Finally, both
peoples have - one because it has recently arisen, the other because it has recently risen - the sense of having to complete, settle, I would say almost solidify and the knowledge of having to put the need for the development of their homeland.
In short, the United States and Italy are now closer than ever. Born to understand each other because of their intimate resemblances, the two peoples have come to know each other more and more and more and more esteem. Not divided by conflicting interests, but linked by continuous relationships, they have come closer and closer together. Both proud of a war fought together, they draw from it, once every financial question is resolved, only reasons for satisfaction and memories of glory. Producers one of work and one of workers, they find in the millions of Italian emigrants, a perfect example of the fusion of two civilizations, a portentous and profitable trait of union. Thus an indissoluble relationship of cordiality, friendship and collaboration was established. From now on, the two countries will be able, I am sure, to travel a long way together.
In conclusion, I want my voice to tell American citizens today my admiration for their virtues and my sympathy for their homeland; and tell my fellow emigrants my fervent memory and my praise for their righteousness and their tireless industriousness. Americans and Italians of America, I unite you all in the same warm greeting.
[/quote]
Last edited by ChesterCheetah18 on Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Very interesting! It seems like he was just trying to compliment Italian Americans and their new way of life as immigrants. Most modern dictators would take the opposite approach and explain how bad their new country is.

Thanks for sharing

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Naw, he was trying to inspire loyalty to the old country, in order to create a group of friends within a then-neutral nation.

If anything, this message would have created fears of revolt or internal dissent by Italian immigrants in the US, should things escalate in Europe. At the time, there was a sizable minority of “America First” xenophobic isolationists actively opposed to any involvement in European affairs (sound familiar?).

Timely topic, by the way, since Italy has just recently elected its first fascist prime minister - Meloni - since the days of old Benito. Everything old is new again, if you hang around long enough.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

Either way the fear was real from the U.S's perspective after the German American debacle during WWI.

https://www.npr.org/2014/02/25/28243923 ... in-america

I also vaguely remember there being a 78 recorded by an American politician during WWI that was trying to appeal to German immigrants to remain patriotic to the American cause. I'm sure somebody here has that record.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Yeah, that’s Ambassador Gerard:

https://www.historyonthenet.com/authent ... 71123.html

He’s a real piece of work.