Edison 4 minute wax cylinders needed

Buy, sell, or trade your records, cylinders or other recordings here
Troyr
Victor Jr

Edison 4 minute wax cylinders needed

Post by Troyr »

Hello fellow collectors,

I am seeking out a several Edison 4 minute wax, very good to excellent cylinders with matching lids:

Thank you!

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: Edison 4 minute wax cylinders needed

Post by Curt A »

I'm assuming that you are aware of the major issues with 4 minute black wax Amberols - they self destruct fairly easily...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Troyr
Victor Jr

Post by Troyr »

Very aware. Although I seem to have had fewer issues than most.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Troy (the OP) has probably the largest collection of wax Amberols in the world. I believe those 8 catalog numbers represent the only remaining wax Amberol selections he does not own.

I've been collecting phonographs and records for 57 years and I too have had only 2 or 3 wax Amberols "spontaneously" break. I suspect that there were unseen hairline cracks to blame in those instances. I handle them carefully and avoid sudden changes in temperature. A small concession for the pleasure of owning some of those excellently-recorded and arranged records, manufactured for only 4 years.

George P.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

Those wax Amberols are like egg shells, unfortunately.But,there were so many nice things on them that were never put onto the Blue celluloid! edisonplayer.

outune
Victor IV

Post by outune »

Just a quick two cents-- Like any record, the wax Amberols need to be handled carefully- I've had at least a couple hundred over the years with very few that have broken. Last year, I sold a total of 45 of them in various lots on Ebay--- including 20 that were shipped to Japan. All arrived to their destinations safely. Last spring I took about 100 to the Wayne show, most with OBL. They endured moving around for the parking lot sale on Saturday-- Back in the car overnight and then onto my table on Sunday. No casualties.
Avoid quick temperature differences-- A year or so ago, I found a box that was hidden behind some other stuff in my garage. It had about 30 wax amberols in it. It was around Christmas and fairly cold, so I didn't move them inside. In the spring, once temps were consistently above 60 degrees, I moved them inside, let them acclimate for a day, then unpacked them-- No issues.

There is some really good music/content on many of the black Amberols, so please don't dismiss them-- Just handle with care.

Brad Abell

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Well stated, Brad.

George P.

Troyr
Victor Jr

Post by Troyr »

Thank you, George.

I always appreciate your support.

Troy

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I guess it's just me...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

chewy
Victor O

Post by chewy »

thats funny i havent seen the first BA popular 1501 either yet (2y)

thats a real interesting list and i wanna listen to those. Can i get a good 4m amberol online discography link (i know how to listen but ive never seen an orginized list), ive never really gone over what im missing out on.