Featured Phonograph № 66

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Zeppy
Victor III

Re: Featured Phonograph № 66

Post by Zeppy »

Retrograde wrote:A few times I've noticed on Victor and HMV machines that the slots in the screws heads in the lid hing are all lined up the same way if the lid has not been off the machine. It's not a scientific observation or certain proof, but I've noticed before.

I actually made this same observation when I was taking apart one of my Victrolas to prep for restoration.....I always wondered if they kept this attention to little details throughout their manufacturing, or did they start slacking off later in their history.

antique1973
Victor IV
Personal Text: Victor Z, Victrola 4-3

Post by antique1973 »

Retrograde wrote:A few times I've noticed on Victor and HMV machines that the slots in the screws heads in the lid hing are all lined up the same way if the lid has not been off the machine. It's not a scientific observation or certain proof, but I've noticed before.

Thanks for the tip retro. I checked my screws and they are going every which way.
Some screws were loose on the lid however so its possible they worked loose
over time.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

When I started my first part time job as a teenager, helping a guy do antique restorations for an antique shop, my boss told me to always line the screw slots up in the same direction because in the old days, it was a sign of good cabinet making/craftmanship.
Since then I've noticed that a lot of old furniture does indeed have the screw slots all facing the same way. It's become a habit with me to do this because it looks so much better, and I actually find it a little irritating when I see them out of alignment :roll:
It can sometimes be a good indication of whether something has been played with in the past.
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Energ15
Victor I
Personal Text: "The Denver Nightingale"

Post by Energ15 »

How wonderful! I love the finish on it!

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

Energ15 wrote:How wonderful! I love the finish on it!

Thank-you! :)

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

That's a great phonograph 1973! It turned out really nice! Thanks for sharing.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

The discussion on the decals is interesting so I checked some of my Victrolas.

Flat top Pooley #1414 = Victor Victrola
XX (tagged VTLA) #5169 = Victor Victrola
VTLA (last style) #11355 =Victor Victrola
XVI #43233 C = Victrola
XIV #1169 = Victrola
XII (first style) #754 = Victor Victrola
XII (second style) #4675 A = Victrola

The Victrola XII was only made for about one year so the transition from "Victor Victrola" to "Victrola" was probably done sometime during that year. Jerry Blais

antique1973
Victor IV

Post by antique1973 »

SonnyPhono wrote:That's a great phonograph 1973! It turned out really nice! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Sonny, my pleasure! :)

downsouth
Victor III

Post by downsouth »

I have several "L" door XVI's and a couple VTLA's, but one machine is a transitional machine that was made just around the time they were ceasing production of the VTLA and it is a standard styled "L" door with the Victor Victrola decal in the lid also and it is totally original. It also has the round crank escutcheon and not the common type attached with two screws. Nice machine you have anyway you look at it and the great part is that it is now complete and functioning again!

Wes

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

downsouth wrote:I have several "L" door XVI's and a couple VTLA's
What do you do with all these machines and what is your stimulus to accumulate identical or very similar types of phonographs? I ask from the standpoint of a record and paraphernalia collector who has a couple of nice contemporary machines to use them (nearly) daily.

By the way, I don't collect different issues or label types of the same recording (normally I try to get the earliest issue).