Maroon Gem question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PeterF
Victor IV

Maroon Gem question

Post by PeterF »

I’m just curious, and I’m asking because I’m pretty sure at least one of us knows the answer.

On several examples of maroon Gems I’ve viewed, the serial number is stamped in a little window on the ID plate, and the number has a “D” suffix stamped to the right of that 6-digit number. However, at some point the ID plate changed, to have a separate little window at the bottom, just for the “D” (and I suppose E, etc).

Do we know where in the serial number range this took place? Does the ID plate change signify any other changes? Is it another of those classic Edison use-em-up deals where the different plate types overlap in time?

Thanks.

gsphonos
Victor II

Re: Maroon Gem question

Post by gsphonos »

Hi Peter,

I've been looking for an E Gem---just haven't found one yet! But, I have found 3 variations of Model D Gem's, and I have all 3 now. The D is next to the serial number in one, and one has the D in the box on top of the ID tag and one has it on the bottom of the ID tag. I talked to Joe Manzo about this, and he thought there were just 2 variations. I will have to look at the 3 machines and find the serial number for each and to give the location of the D to get things started in this thread....just not tonight!

Mike