The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Found an original family Victrola VV-XVIII in the wild
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:54 am 
Victor I
That is gorgeous , Congratulations, XVIII's are such elegant machines

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 am 
Victor VI
I'm Feeling Cranky
Congratulations on your acquisition - as others have opined, that's a wonderful find made very special with its provenance.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:08 am 
Victor IV
Thank you for the supportive comments. I still can't believe that it is sitting there. I was fortunate enough to be the first to respond to the ad. Facebook Marketplace has been very good for my collecting, but you have to be fast and if it is a good deal, I suggest that you don't try to make it better or you may lose out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:17 am 
Victor III
Congratulations on an exceptional find! I found my XVIII on Craigslist when CL was the only game in town -- it seems that more phonographs pop up on facebook than on CL now. I bought it from a couple -- she looked to be in her early eighties, he proudly declared his age as 93 -- who'd had it passed down in his family. His parents, immigrants from Ireland, had been domestic servants for a family on Beacon Street in Boston, and the Victrola was given to them as a wedding present, used, in 1921. The serial number is 1098.

What's the dealer tag on yours? Mine is from the West End Phonograph Co., on Leverett Street in Boston. Leverett Street was one of the many acquired by eminent domain and razed by the Boston Redevelopment Authority in the mid-1950s.

Your "new" XVIII looks beautiful, and I hope you'll post more pictures of it as you get it buffed up...
"Gosh darn a Billiken anyhow."- Uncle Josh Weathersby

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 pm 
Victor O
Congrats on the find! You were slightly faster than me, I was second in line. They obviously had no idea what they had on their hands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:06 pm 
Victor O
(As with many antiques) when you find such pieces in their original configuration, the elegant taste of the era as expressed by the original designers/craftsmen becomes very apparent. you've found a beautiful treasure! Congrats!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:53 pm 
Victor IV
We are only the caretakers for future generations.
Beautiful find! Great provenance! Good for you!

Bob S.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:45 pm 
Victor IV
msarnold1990 wrote:
Congrats on the find! You were slightly faster than me, I was second in line. They obviously had no idea what they had on their hands.

He actually did know what he had. He quoted prices that he had seen. I had a nice talk with him on Sunday and he said that they were moving to Florida and couldn’t take it with them and that they wanted it to go to someone that would appreciate it. I told him that I didn’t feel good about only giving him $500 for it, so I gave him $1000, and I feel that I still came out ahead. I have no business sense, but I’m ok with that. Now I have to figure out which machine to re-home.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:09 pm 
Victor IV
Cody K wrote:
Congratulations on an exceptional find! I found my XVIII on Craigslist when CL was the only game in town -- it seems that more phonographs pop up on facebook than on CL now. I bought it from a couple -- she looked to be in her early eighties, he proudly declared his age as 93 -- who'd had it passed down in his family. His parents, immigrants from Ireland, had been domestic servants for a family on Beacon Street in Boston, and the Victrola was given to them as a wedding present, used, in 1921. The serial number is 1098.

What's the dealer tag on yours? Mine is from the West End Phonograph Co., on Leverett Street in Boston. Leverett Street was one of the many acquired by eminent domain and razed by the Boston Redevelopment Authority in the mid-1950s.

Your "new" XVIII looks beautiful, and I hope you'll post more pictures of it as you get it buffed up...

They may have shared floor space. The original owner was a Boston leather merchant named Max Stone.

Attachments:
IMG_0052.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 166 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:41 pm 
Victor II
The machine is nice but it doesn't compare to the person you are for your honesty with the monetary advance ----the new owner makes the machine shine.----just my opinion

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next