Question on Aretino Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phonotom
Victor II
Personal Text: phonograph collector

Question on Aretino Machine

Post by Phonotom »

I have a really unusual Aretino Machine. The Horn is mounted in a fixed position and the turntable moves to play the record. It has the typical 3" spindle. It also has a lever where you can adjust the turntable to the start or middle or ??? of the record. It has what looks like an original Aretino reproducer that is different from the more common Aretino. I have included a few pics with the turntable in different positions and also pics of the reproducer. Can anyone give me any info on this unusual Aretino? Sorry about the dust, girlfriend is not very good at dusting these for me.
Attachments
aretino 8.jpg
aretino 7.jpg
aretino 6.jpg
aretino 5.jpg
aretino 4.jpg
aretino 3.jpg
aretino 2.jpg
aretino 1.jpg

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Re: Question on Aretino Machine

Post by Phono-Phan »

I don't know the details of this model but one was sold at the last Donley's auction. It was very unique.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The "traversing turntable" Aretino is shown on page 138 (Fig. 4-28) of The Talking Machine Compendium. It was also described in detail in the Dec. 2013 issue of the APS magazine in "Dodging the Fifth Claim, Pt.2."

In short, this machine was designed and patented by Edward F. Leeds and George Rumpf. It was briefly manufactured in late 1908/early 1909 by Hawthorne & Sheble, and was the first true mechanical feed disc talking machine known to have reached the marketplace. The U.S. Patent for the Leeds-Rumpf machine was No.897,836. The whole idea was to dodge the 5th claim of Berliner's U.S. Patent No.534,543, which covered any talking machine whose needle/stylus was propelled by the record's groove.

Here are a couple of shots of the motor. It's pretty flimsy!

George P.
Aretino1.JPG
Aretino2.JPG
Aretino3.JPG

phonospud
Victor I
Personal Text: Expert antique musical box & phonograph repairs for 40 years

Post by phonospud »

I’ve restored two of these mechanical feed Aretinos. There are two variations in that motor design believe it or not! The differences are very subtle. I was under the impression this version of the Aretino was quite rare.
Last edited by phonospud on Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finest in music box and phonograph restorations for over 40 years

Phonotom
Victor II
Personal Text: phonograph collector

Post by Phonotom »

Thank you George. I even have that book of yours. The info is much appreciated. Looks like the reproducer is the same also.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Two things:

1. Congratulations on your Aretino; those traversing turntable machines are very interesting.

2. So dust them yourself. ;)

Kind regards,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Andersun
Victor III

Post by Andersun »

Here is the other design which I believe is older. They changed the winding mechansim because the small spur gear was stripping the contacting plate which is what happened to my Aretino. They ended doing a reverse setup which is much more robust.
Attachments
AretinoMotor.jpg
AretinoMotor.jpg (28.75 KiB) Viewed 563 times

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Thanks for posting that variation, Steve. I'll bet you're right about which came sooner.

...And thanks again for all your help with my restoration 8 years ago!

George P.