Amberol question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
KCW
Victor II

Amberol question

Post by KCW »

Still learning the basics of this stuff…

Question about amberols: I understand that the black wax ones came out in 1908 and later the blue Amberols came out. It seems to me that every now and then I get a cylinder which is extremely light blue, not a faded blue amberol (which I see now and again) but almost a baby blue amberol. Is that a different type? Did it just change due to aging?

Lastly, what’s the story with reproducers and amberols. Which reproducers are ok for them? Will a model H play all of them? Thanks everyone fir the education! A quick search online didn’t answer my questions…

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Re: Amberol question

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

In my experience, the Blue Amberols, like the brown waxes, can vary greatly depending on the dyes used at the time. I have some very light blue ones, and a couple that are almost a forest green.
As for reproducers, you can play any Amberol cylinder with a Model H, although Blue Amberols won't sound as good. NEVER play a wax Amberol with a Dimond stylus though.
Steve

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

What will happen if you play one with a diamond stylus?

Also, what type of material is used for Model C, H and K? Thank you all!

Victor VI

Post by 52089 »

At one time, Edison switched to a different formula for the blue color as a cost cutting measure. He soon found out that 1) the color faded quickly, and 2) the overall record was lower in quality with significantly higher surface noise. The experiment was undone pretty quickly.

As for which records go to which reproducers and why, may I suggest you read the articles that are available on the Antique Phonograph Society's website.

If you play a wax record with a diamond stylus, the weight of the reproducer will dig into the groove and destroy it

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Here's an article that should answer your questions:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

George P.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have a copy on Blue Amberol of Walte Van Brunt singing "There's A Girl In The Heart Of Maryland "It's a light blue like the blue Indestructibles.edisonplayer.
Last edited by edisonplayer on Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

I have a copy on Blue Amberol of Walter Van Brunt singing "There's A Girl In The Heart Of Maryland ".It's a light blue like the blue Indestructibles.edisonplayer.

KCW
Victor II

Post by KCW »

What type of material is in a model C or H reproducer? Is it sapphire? Something else? Thank you everyone for this education!

ChesterCheetah18
Victor II

Post by ChesterCheetah18 »

Models C, H, and K all use a sapphire ball stylus.
Steve

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

KCW wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:17 pm What type of material is in a model C or H reproducer? Is it sapphire? Something else? Thank you everyone for this education!
The Edison Models C, H, and K reproducers use eliptical sapphire styli (shaped like tiny doorknobs).

George P.