EMG Colonel YT videos

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: EMG Colonel YT videos

Post by epigramophone »

His accent was as false as his claims to have had a public school education and an aristocratic ancestry.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Steve wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:14 pm
Contrary to what some of the folk who are publicly dancing on his grave have said I do not agree that he should be buried and forgotten. For all his faults and menacing behaviour it should never be forgotten that he had mental health issues and was, after all, another human being. I’m as appalled by some of what I’ve read on the internet about him posthumously as I was by what he said about others when he was alive. The dead can’t speak up and two wrongs don’t make a right. No one deserves to die at 47.
Well said Steve. I couldn't agree more.
We all have our faults, and none of us are perfect, but like him or hate him, some of his videos are unique, and I see them as a great contribution to our hobby.
His world record controller demonstration video that I recently linked to is just one example, and there are several machines I doubt we'll see in action again.
It would be a great shame if those were lost, and for those, I salute you Colonel.
Thank you!

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Steve wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:14 pm ... two wrongs don’t make a right. ...
Interesting. That is how I was raised. But more and more, that old adage, unfortunately is falling out of favor it seems. :coffee:
Best regards ... AZ*

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

AZ* wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:47 pm
Steve wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:14 pm ... two wrongs don’t make a right. ...
Interesting. That is how I was raised. But more and more, that old adage, unfortunately is falling out of favor it seems. :coffee:
I have not heard that one in a long time but it's a good one to remember.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:14 pm
I have known other people who live in a total fantasy world. They tell so many lies that they truly begin to believe their own stories and take on the persona of the person they falsely claim to be. The line between reality and fiction is blurred. Rarely do these people seek professional help or have proper diagnosis though. That’s quite sad.

Thank you, Stephen, for the occasional gramophone part and odd pieces of ephemera you sent to me free of charge from time to time. I wish I could have understood your scrolling handwriting within the accompanying letters!

Anyway, like Chunny, that’s all I’m going to say about him.

Goodbye Stephen.
Steve sums up quite accurately my impression of Stephen. The flaws of the man will eventually be forgotten, but his videos, in particular the machine demonstrations and comparison tests, are unique and deserve to be preserved and utilised as sources of information not found anywhere else.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

All broadly agreed (in all directions) but I would just ask why this old thread had to be resurrected? (Rhetorical question, not meant to be pointed!)
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Orchorsol wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 am All broadly agreed (in all directions) but I would just ask why this old thread had to be resurrected? (Rhetorical question, not meant to be pointed!)
Old threads never die, the just faaade away ...

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

It's just a complete guess on my part, but I'd say Steve has come across this thread in an EMG search, and read this thread for the first time because he was unable to access his account at the time this thread was created.
And after reading some of the comments left by a couple people he's probably felt the need add his comment to the thread about someone he once considered a friend.

Whatever his reasons though, I have a lot of respect for Steve after close to 20 yrs of communicating with him on the internet, and he's always been helpful, honest and fair, so I'm sure any post he makes, whether in a thread less than 1 yr old or more than 10 yrs, is done with the best intentions and hopefully without having to explain his reasons.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

See below
Last edited by Steve on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

gramophoneshane wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:44 am It's just a complete guess on my part, but I'd say Steve has come across this thread in an EMG search, and read this thread for the first time because he was unable to access his account at the time this thread was created.
And after reading some of the comments left by a couple people he's probably felt the need add his comment to the thread about someone he once considered a friend.

Whatever his reasons though, I have a lot of respect for Steve after close to 20 yrs of communicating with him on the internet, and he's always been helpful, honest and fair, so I'm sure any post he makes, whether in a thread less than 1 yr old or more than 10 yrs, is done with the best intentions and hopefully without having to explain his reasons.
Thank you, Shane, for your kind words of support. You know me well. I've never tried to hide anything from anybody. What you've said pretty much nailed it. That's exactly what happened and why I responded how I did and when I did.

Thanks again!

All the best,

Steve