Changing Gasket’s on a sound box

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Changing Gasket’s on a sound box

Post by Edisonfan »

How often should I change the Gasket in my Victrola No. 2 Soundbox?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Changing Gasket’s on a sound box

Post by Inigo »

I don't know... But I suppose that new gaskets will last some years. Just examine them each year to see if they start to loose suppleness...
Inigo

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Thank you!

Dischoard
Victor II
Personal Text: Born in the wrong century...

Post by Dischoard »

Many of them haven't been changed in 100 years so anywhere under that? ;)

Ken Doyle
Victor Jr

Post by Ken Doyle »

I replaced the gaskets in my No. 2 sound box about 13 years ago, and just now I'm starting to hear some screeching on the loud notes, so I assume it's time to do them again. I suppose how long they last depends on climate.

Who's got the best gaskets these days?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

The life of the gasket depends primarily on the material, its shelf life before being used, its compression and to its exposure to ultraviolet radiation (more pronounced in machines that do not have lids). Some of my soundbox diaphragm gaskets are still flexible after about 15 years, while I had to replace others after only three years of use. I also have some tubing that is certainly more than 20 year old and still very flexible. As to long term survival of original gaskets, the only compound that I have seen to keep its flexibility after near 100 years is the pink back rubber of the English Columbia viva tonal soundboxes (their US counterparts solidified with time as most other gaskets).

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That red rubber must be something of another kind and much better quality. My Aeolian Vocalion still has its tonearm base sealing red rubber joint, supple and alive... 102 years old, and being under a great pressure by the tonearm fixing screws!
Yet I have some white rubber tubing bought 10 or 15 years ago, and it's already getting yellowish...
Inigo

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Inigo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:05 pm That red rubber must be something of another kind and much better quality. My Aeolian Vocalion still has its tonearm base sealing red rubber joint, supple and alive... 102 years old, and being under a great pressure by the tonearm fixing screws!
Yet I have some white rubber tubing bought 10 or 15 years ago, and it's already getting yellowish...
Yes, Iñigo, these English red compounds are very unique! on the opposite side, some days ago I replaced the gasket of the Amphion that I posted in this forum, and both white rings were solid and brittle as a cream-cracker biscuit!