I have sinned...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bigshot
Victor II

Re: I have sinned...

Post by bigshot »

bigshot wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:29 pm The one I would really like is the pre-LP style Califone schoolhouse phono. Those were built like a rock and they sounded very good.
It's five years later, and I finally found the Califone that I really wanted. Califone 1925. Not pre-LP but mono and it has a pitch control. It's in perfect cosmetic shape. I'm guessing early 1960s. Solid state and a single speaker that bundles up with the phono as a suitcase. Going to set it up this weekend and play some music.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I'm glad you finally found one! Most of the Califone phonographs were rugged and dependable, but having one with a pitch control is a real plus.

The nice thing about Califone phonographs is that they were built to last for decades.

About the only one to avoid is the (now out of production) model 1005...
Capture.JPG
From: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... layer.html
...manufactured after production was shifted to China, and the very last model sold.

Based on the reviews I've read, these are little better than the standard Crosley or "Victrola" branded suitcase model, with all plastic parts, a fragile non-replaceable belt, and an uneven turntable that does not spin at the correct speeds.

Fortunately, the older models will probably still be available for years to come on sites such as eBay, etc.

OrthoFan

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

Yeah, apparently at the end they were sourcing their turntables from China.

I was interested in all the different brands of school phonos. The big three were Califone, Newcomb and Voice of Music. Newcomb was a client of my dad's back when I was a kid. I should have asked him to get me a record player from them. He did bring home Armed Services disks a few times. I wish I still had them. They were LPs that were arranged like radio shows with a DJ. Not the kind of music that the GIs in Viet Nam would listen to, but more like music for the old fogies at the officer's club.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Such record auction sites as Recordfinders, etc. used to have Califones for sale. Yeah, it was 20 years ago, but maybe they still carry this line of products...
Inigo

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

At least the turntable is a Garrard and not sourced from a cheap portable!

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Has a marvelous look... Sure it sounds very well for 78s... ;)
Inigo

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

Inigo wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:41 am Such record auction sites as Recordfinders, etc. used to have Califones for sale. Yeah, it was 20 years ago, but maybe they still carry this line of products...
The prices on school phonos have gone way up in the past five or six years, especially if they are in pristine shape. There were 8 people bidding against me on eBay I think. They seem to be very popular with young people who want to explore old records from the thrift store.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Nice! From here to discover 78s there's only a thin line!
Inigo

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

I saw this interesting video today -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh5-VmmQyCs

Seems that the Califone 1005 wasn't the only model made in China with plastic parts.

With the resurgence of interest in "vinyl", It's a shame that a quality self-contained record player is no longer being manufactured. About the only option is to go the route of a component system, since high quality turntables are still available. Another option is to buy a fully serviced/restored old record player from a company that knows how to do it. Along that line, is anyone familiar with Oak Tree -- http://www.oaktreevintage.com/Record_Pl ... tained.htm -- ?

OrthoFan

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

That Garrard is more of an antique than my first Victrola, a VV-IV, was when it was given to me ca. 1953. The VV-IV was only about 30 years old at that time, while your Garrard is close to 60.