Just got my first Edison Standard Phonograph- Where do i start

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Re: Just got my first Edison Standard Phonograph- Where do i start

Post by Chuck »

Wow.. Simply amazing. Try doing that 120 years from now with any of the audio junk being produced now. Not a chance in hell. But these machines just need a little oil, and a little TLC
and they start playing.
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Hey, guy! Why don't you make a cardboard horn for your machine? If you have some there around, a bit of glue or cello tape will do it in ten minutes! You'll see the difference! You can make a throat thin enough to fit snugly on the reproducer neck, and as far as the horn is light, you don't need any other thing to make it sound great! Tin horn is the best, but just to take a flavour of the real thing, a cardboard horn will do! Or better one made of flexible thin plastic sheets... Those used to separate pages in a ring folder may serve.
Inigo

thephreakycheese
Victor Jr

Post by thephreakycheese »

Inigo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:42 pm Hey, guy! Why don't you make a cardboard horn for your machine? If you have some there around, a bit of glue or cello tape will do it in ten minutes! You'll see the difference! You can make a throat thin enough to fit snugly on the reproducer neck, and as far as the horn is light, you don't need any other thing to make it sound great! Tin horn is the best, but just to take a flavour of the real thing, a cardboard horn will do! Or better one made of flexible thin plastic sheets... Those used to separate pages in a ring folder may serve.
Man you were right. She sounds wonderful, I absolutely love the sound from this. Thanks for the tip

(Double-click the video above or click this link to go to the video on YouTube.)

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I can't tell if that's echoing or if there's a bit of wobble in the mandrel RPM's but if you think she sounds good now--wait until you finish the repairs.

It's not bad! It's not doing too bad. Clean the stylus off and go from there.

Your Michigan parts guy named George is the great George Vollema--he certainly does have parts for them and just about any other kind you find. That's a great cylinder you're playing and TWO WHOLE CRATES of cylinders on the way is a great way to get into this quickly.

Chuck
Victor III
Personal Text: Richards Laboratories http://www.richardslaboratories.com producing high quality cylinder blanks

Post by Chuck »

I think the slight unevenness of the machine is most likely due at least in part from the joint in his very temporary belt he made out of black electrical tape.
Remember guys, this machine is fresh from the auction block. No speed adjustment has been made. Just a little oil and a quick belt, that's it.
I'd say that for $100 this is quite a lucky find! :clover:
"Sustained success depends on searching
for, and gaining, fundamental understanding"

-Bell System Credo